Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing bars with internal wiring???

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 10:37 AM
drogers
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changing bars with internal wiring???

Ordered Wild 1 bars for my '08 Springer.I have no idea what is involved in changing bars with internal wiring.The cables are all long enough to fit the new bars,so I'm good there.What is involved with the wiring? Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:44 AM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Changing bars with internal wiring???

You basically have to extend your stock wiring by splicing in extra lengths of wire on each of the wires running from under the tank to each switch and turn signal (this would be a great time to relocate your turn signals off the handlebars if you have not done so). On mine, I spliced in a piece of 16 gauge wire to make each wire the appropriate length and then ran the bundle of wires through the bars. You can buy wire extension harnesses which have wires that match the color of the OEM wires. I just bought a roll of wire from radio shack or home depot and used all the same color for the extensions. Using a multimeter to test your splices will verify that you have good connection and also keep you from having to chase gremlins at the end. It is a pain to have to pull the wires back out of the bar to find a bad connection. Also, stagger your splices so you keep the overall diameter of the spliced area as small as possible.

I should have said that this applys to bars that require longer than stock wiring, like ape hangers.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:49 AM
strippedthread1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done dozens of sets, from drag bars to ape hangers. It isn't hard, just time consuming.
First off, you need the service manual as it has the wiring diagram. Most times you have to remove the gas tank. For each side of the bars, there is an electrical connector block. You will have to remove each wire from the block(this is why it is important to have the wiring diagram). If the bars are not predrilled, you will have to drill. I use a 1/2" drill bit and then use a dremel to debur the holes. I then take a long piece of lockwire fish it through the bars and wrap it around the elcetrical wires about 20 times. With the bars on a table, I pull the lockwire and push the electrical wires at the same time until the I'm through. Take off the lockwire, (using the wiring diagram) reinsert the wires into the connector block, reinstall the gastank, tighten everything to spec and that's about it.
A six-pack and about 2 hours is all it takes, providing you don't need to lengthen your wires.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:13 AM
gunner065
Road Captain

As said above, it's not hard just time consuming and tedious. I used a shop vac to bring a piece of heavy strength line through the bars and taped it really good to the wiring, paying special attention that the connectors were covered so you don't haul any of the ends off. I found that the stock wire protective sheath was harder going back through. I cut mine off and got some shrink tubing and covered the wiring with that, plus a little silicone to make it slide easier. I removed the tank and prior to taking the connectors apart, I took pictures as well as drew diagrams of the correct setup. Taking the pins out I used a paper clip and it was a bitch on the first one, but after when you get the knack of it, they come apart really easy. Take your time and get a manual. Good luck.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:40 AM
Hwy 101
Stage II

I'm puttingChubby W0518's on my '03 Fatboy today, plus chrome lower legs, cowbells, nacelle,passing lamps, trim rings, relocating turn signals, internal wiring, detachable windshield, etc. Totally new look for my front end. After reading all these posts I was ready to tear into it. But before I got out my wrench I placed a call to the mechanic down the street who builds customs for a living. He said $350 for everything. So my bike is in the shop today...
I'll post some pics when it returns.

Hwy 101

Old 05-31-2008, 11:54 AM
jmsoftail94
Intermediate

I think some of the fun of replacing your handlebars is doing it yourself. You get to know your bike and it saves you money. Maybe I just like working on my bike...

Old 05-31-2008, 02:00 PM
drogers
Tourer

I just checked with my HD dealer and they want $225 if they dont have to extend the wires,$300 if they do. They said it will take 3-3.5 hours using the stock cables.[sm=WTFsgign.gif]

Old 05-31-2008, 04:39 PM
NoVaThunder
Tourer

I would think a monkey could do it in 3 hours. I am not a mechanic and it took me about 2 hours (I didn't have to extend the wires). Just take your time and use the service manual and you shouldn't have any issues. Use the search feature on this site and you will find lots of additional info and tricks.

Old 05-31-2008, 05:37 PM
sgtrod91
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree its not too hard to do, I did mine in a few hrs no problems at all

Old 05-31-2008, 05:44 PM
SAS
Tourer

Not hard at all. Whenyou are doing the wiring pay close attention to the wires on each side as HD will have 2 wires spliced into one going down the harnest. Just make sure you put your splice after the factory splice. If you miss this while doing the bars it might get a little confusing. So just take your time.

Quick Reply: Changing bars with internal wiring???