Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

45 mph rear wheel noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 05:16 PM
ImYourHuckleberry
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 45 mph rear wheel noise

I've had my bike in the shop three times for this. First time when I had the tire changed they said the belt guard was rubbing the chrome sprocket cover and adjusted it free of charge. This was obvious from the marks once I looked, but the noise was still there. Second time a week later, they said the belt was too tight. Adjusted it at no charge since they had justput a tire on it. And third time was today. Belt alignment is perfect, tire and wheel are on perfectly straight (I checked this twice) and they said the bearings are good when they had the wheel off to do the tire. I have a constant squeal that varies with wheel speed and is almost unnoticeable under 35. They say that's the belt, but there's nothing wrong with it. They'll try cleaning it thoroughly. But the main concern is a loud grinding sound from about 43-46 mph from the left side of the wheel that gets louder the longer I ride. The service manager told me today that on the dyno, it definitely sounds like the left side bearing listening through a stethoscope. I was just wondering if you folks had any other thoughts or suggestions since it took them three tries to take aguess at this problem.. I told him I'll let him know in the morning whether to change the bearings, since they didn't have time today anyway. The good side to this though is that they detail your bike thoroughly every time you bring it in for any type of repair. They said this time they're gonna give me they're $250.00 full detail job free of charge for all the hassle.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:46 PM
Luxe
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 45 mph rear wheel noise

Try rubbing a bar of hand soap on both sides of the drive belt, then ride it. I have a chrome sproket & thats how I silence mine.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:19 AM
hekety
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the same thing I went through. It started like a squeel like you are having then it went to a grinding noise then a knocking.
I found that the Primary nut was loose. Dont know if this is your problem or not but thats what was wrong with mine. I have a 2003 standard softtail

Old 06-05-2008, 06:47 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well is sounds like the shop is trying their hardest for you and providing decent compensation for you hassle.&nbsp\\; If they already have the stethoscope in use, you'd think they could narrow-in on your problem.
&nbsp\\;
I too was thinking that there may be something amiss in your primary.&nbsp\\; But since the techs have the stethoscope,&nbsp\\;you have to trust that they will&nbsp\\;localize the problem and probably already listened to your primary.
&nbsp\\;
Does the noise change when you shift weight/torque when making turns or changing lanes?&nbsp\\; If it was any sort of alignment issue, I think you would hear a change in the sound as things shift in turns.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:06 AM
Bossman1
Outstanding HDF Member

Strange noise definately not good try louder pipes. Really tho I wud not stop til I found it. Stealer shud be able to narrow it down. If not keep gettin them details. It's always somthin. Good luck
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
...........BOSSMAN

Old 06-05-2008, 10:52 AM
mjmangus
Tourer

I say let them replace the bearings.&nbsp\\; Grinding noises are not a good sign.&nbsp\\; I would get a chirping noise on the fxrp during acceleration or decel.&nbsp\\; Cleaned the belt real good and rubbed the outside edges with a bar of soap and the problem went away.&nbsp\\; But never had a grinding noise.&nbsp\\; If a bearing is suspect, then change it.&nbsp\\; A seized bearing on a bike can be catastrophic.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:05 PM
ImYourHuckleberry
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The grind is gone so far. They changed the bearings in the wheel. I still have a couple other odd sounds, but nothing scary enough to keep me from riding the Dragon's Tail next weekend.