Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CrossBones Bars dont bite

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 05:23 PM
greentp99
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CrossBones Bars dont bite

Has anyone else had a problem with the bars on a crossbones moving? I had hit a few big bumps in the rode and noticed my bars would move down(towards me) during the event. I tighted them but the same thing happened the next time I hit a bump...(happened to be the same one \\ )
&nbsp\\;
I took off the riser caps and noticed that the narls are not contacting all the way around. Looks like just a 1/4 inch is contacting. Looks like the culprit is the powder coating keeps the narls from contacting the riser and caps correctly. I am asking because I plan on complaining to Harley about it and was wondering if I am alone with this issue.
&nbsp\\;
Ralph

Old 06-28-2008, 06:47 PM
Johan96
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: CrossBones Bars dont bite

Cannot help you, sorry! Sounds like a case for your dealer

Old 06-28-2008, 08:53 PM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

oddly enough I had a set of risers powdercoated black for my 02 Heritage Springer...No matter what i did the bars kept slipping until one turn too many i stripped out the riser... i changed back to the stock chrome ones and they have not moved....It seems the powdercoat filled in the grooves on the riser almost smoothing them out.. I assume HD did the same thing with all the risers from the Springer Classic.. just sent them out to powdercoat.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:16 PM
tnharley7
Road Captain

Mine did that the first week I had the bike.&nbsp\\; After re-torqueing to factory specs, I have not had any problems so far. Now, when I installed the windshield, I had to move the handlebars and remove one riser.&nbsp\\; Best I can remember, the knurled portion of the handlebar was completely captured by the riser clamp.&nbsp\\; I have put about 2K on the bike since then and no movement at all.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:06 AM
Fred0311
Intermediate

YES!&nbsp\\; I had the same problem with my X-Bones handlebars in the first week.&nbsp\\; I took it back to the dealership last week and they tightened it up.&nbsp\\; I noticed today that they were loose again.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-29-2008, 02:22 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the same problem with the DWG bars I put on the sportster... cut me a couple of stips out of a soda can... made two shims and the bars hasn't moved since...
&nbsp\\;
I have not had the problem with the Bones yet but then again I think I only have 64 miles on her so its kinda early...[8D]
&nbsp\\;
Charlie D.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:36 AM
Fred0311
Intermediate

I spoke to Harley-Davidson of Baton Rouge, the dealership that sold me my 'Bones and fixed the handlebars.&nbsp\\; The head tech siad to bring it back and apologized for it loosening again.&nbsp\\; I told him I'd instead bring it to the dealership in New Orleans (where I live) due to its close proximity.&nbsp\\; I asked if there was a recall or some other problem with this model's handlebars.&nbsp\\; He said mine was the first he has seen with this problem.&nbsp\\; I told him that I learned of others in this forum with this problem and he promised to check with HD.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
I'd really like to hear from others with similar problems.&nbsp\\; I truly appreciate this forum.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:40 PM
JimiB
Advanced

That happened to me to.&nbsp\\; Bringing it home from the dealer and hit a small bump in the road and the bars moved back towards me.&nbsp\\; Got ot home and tightened it up, or tried to.&nbsp\\; The bolts only moved a little bit.&nbsp\\; Since then they haven't moved, but I&nbsp\\;only had it out once since then.&nbsp\\; When I go to get my first check, I'll mention it to the dealer.&nbsp\\; I love this forum, I thought my bar problem was an isolated incident.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-30-2008, 03:16 PM
GymRat523
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 2500 on mine and no problems, have adjusted them twice myself and no movement.
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-30-2008, 04:21 PM
Fred0311
Intermediate

Just made an appointment with HDNO to have my handlebars re-fixed.&nbsp\\; Guess what?&nbsp\\; They have another with the same problem.&nbsp\\; Tech said they had to order new risers for that one.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
I'm starting to think that the handlebars will prove to be a problem with this model...

Quick Reply: CrossBones Bars dont bite