Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS System installed, love it!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 09:35 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Default GPS System installed, love it!

Just bought a Magellan 4210 GPS system, 4.3 inches touch screen, super slim design, I mounted it on my Kuryakyn 1 inch handlebar clamp (bought it earlier for my camera). I put rubber bushing between the GPS mount and clamp, it seems to be pretty good, no vibration at all. I took it for a 30mins ride, choose 3D map view which is cool, this unit has good response time, the compass and vehicle speed are bonus. The only complaint I have is the vehicle speed latency, I would say about a second, don't know about other GPS, it could be me. I am really happy with this unit, $169 + $9.99 mounting clamp, can't beat the price. I will get a anti-glare screen film tomorrow.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:06 PM
tnharley7
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GPS System installed, love it!

I have the orginal Garmin Quest on my Ultra and love having a gps available.&nbsp\\; It is great to go exploring new roads and not really caring about not being able to find your way back home, because with the gps you can always find home &nbsp\\; Is your unit waterproof?&nbsp\\; My old Quest is about 5 years old and is totally waterproof, which is nice.&nbsp\\; But if not just stow it if it rains.&nbsp\\; I have to do that to my XM Roady on the Ultra or put a baggy over it.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:10 PM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you use just the visual, or is there audio sound with directions?

Old 07-09-2008, 10:17 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member

Visual only, I wear a 3/4 helmet the whole year, don't think I need the voice prompt. If I spend another $200, I can get bluetooth, mp3 playback and voice command but I think that's a bit too much, I more enjoy riding. I also have onboard GPS on my 2 other vehicles, don't have to share this one, a cheap one will do.

ORIGINAL: Bluesssman
Do you use just the visual, or is there audio sound with directions?

Old 07-09-2008, 10:23 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member

Believe or not, I have been living in the same house for 13 years, I just found out some roads around my block that I have never driven lol
My unit isn't waterproof, it is made for car. I don't too worry, worst case I just put a cover over it, not a big deal. Seldom ride in the rain but it would be nice if it is water proof, I cannot find anything less than $500 price tag. XM is on my wish list, I do carry my ipod for long ride.

ORIGINAL: tnharley7

I have the orginal Garmin Quest on my Ultra and love having a gps available. \\\\\\\\\\\\\\; It is great to go exploring new roads and not really caring about not being able to find your way back home, because with the gps you can always find home \\\\\\\\\\\\\\; Is your unit waterproof? \\\\\\\\\\\\\\; My old Quest is about 5 years old and is totally waterproof, which is nice. \\\\\\\\\\\\\\; But if not just stow it if it rains. \\\\\\\\\\\\\\; I have to do that to my XM Roady on the Ultra or put a baggy over it.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:38 AM
HOOSIER
Intermediate

Is that mount fully adjustable? If I wanted to slide the mount further down the bars towards the center of the bike can you rotate the GPS back to where it is level?

Old 07-10-2008, 08:43 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member

Yes, it is adjustable. Left and right, up and down. If you want something more flexible, get rammount, around $40 for the kit. I keep it on close the left control because it is easier to touch the screen, I was thinking to put it in the center but I think the GPS will distract me from riding, I like where it is now.

ORIGINAL: HOOSIER

Is that mount fully adjustable? If I wanted to slide the mount further down the bars towards the center of the bike can you rotate the GPS back to where it is level?

Old 07-10-2008, 10:37 AM
HOOSIER
Intermediate

This mount looks like it is more low profile than the RAM mount. How does it compare? I do not want a mount that sticks up to far.
&nbsp\\;
After looking at the pics of this Kuryakyn mount did the rest of the GPS mount come with the GPS in the box?

Old 07-10-2008, 10:45 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member

It sits way lower, at least 2-3 inches. I use the mounting bracket that came with my GPS, bolt it right on the clamps, it doesn't take anything to complete. I don't like my GPS sitting to high either. Again, it depends on what unit you have, at least my Magellan fits.

ORIGINAL: HOOSIER

This mount looks like it is more low profile than the RAM mount. How does it compare? I do not want a mount that sticks up to far.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
After looking at the pics of this Kuryakyn mount did the rest of the GPS mount come with the GPS in the box?

Old 07-10-2008, 10:53 AM
hdsammy
Intermediate

How is the visibility of the screen when the sun is at your back?&nbsp\\; I have been thinking about getting a gps for the bike.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Quick Reply: GPS System installed, love it!