Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The "new" SERT

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 10:10 PM
azfathog17
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The "new" SERT

I spoke with an HD service tech/advisor (whatever they are called) about the SERT today. Evidently the old SERT will not work with '08 and up ECMs. He said they would revert back to stock settings over time. Something to do with the adaptability of the '08 ECMs. Seems there are different from '07s?? The new SERT is designed not to do this, can't remember the new name. I have not heard this before. I also asked about AF ratios and how they set the bikes up on the dyno and he claimed they would make it as rich as you want. Unfortunately this guy did not understand simple math and what 14.7:1 AF ratio actually meant. This was evident when he claimed they were set up lean at 12:1.....hmmmm. When I corrected him he looked confused. Perhaps it is just me, but I would expect some form of reasonable technical knowledge from an HD service person. Needless to say I did not pursue any further info about the SERT since it would have been non value added. Anyway at least here in AZ the SERT is $550 and requires 3hrs of dyno time...ouch!! ...so about $800.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:23 PM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That sounds about right.....The factory sets bikes up WAY lean. But, don't feel bad about getting a tech that is in the dark when it comes to the dyno and your A/F ratio. In my experience with the local dealers, the techs don't know squat about dynos. This is not to say that they're not good at what they do- it's just that what they do isn't dyno testing, and looking at A/F ratios. As far as the "new" SERT version goes, I haven't heard anything about them not working with the '08 ECMs. 3 hrs of dyno time sounds logical. See if they will give you a flat price, that way if it takes them longer to tune your scooter, they won't charge you even more $$$$.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:43 PM
hdslam
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

F the stealer for a SERT and custom map. Go to Custom Performance (Trask Performance) in Phoenix. Nick Trask, owner and crew are the best. He dyno's all my bikes and recently did a custom map and SERT for my Roadglide. Bike friggin' rocks it now. As far as the stealer is concerned, they don't know **** when it comes to mapping for a SERT.

Nick and his crew will take their time and dial in the best tune for what you are looking for. Never a problem with Custom Performance. Here is their website. www.turboyourharley.com.

Good luck...

Old 08-23-2008, 10:44 PM
Elusive 1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 08 Road King with 1700 miles, had SERT,SEAC and SuperTrapp SE's installed before delivery. No problems of any kind, no popping or anything. It's runs great, with out a dyno.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:49 PM
SuperAhcmed
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a fan of the SERT. The Daytona-twintec's TFCI III is a superior "self learning" closed loop FI feedback system. No dyno time needed with them since they come with a pair of wideband 02 sensors.