Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedo/Tach upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 06:21 PM
wlbowers
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 97 Likes on 40 Posts
Cool Speedo/Tach Upgrade

I found a 2007 Heritage classic for $14,500. Guy gave me $6,000 trade-in for the wreckage of my Low Rider.

Been having fun upgrading with the left over cash from the insurance company.

I just picked up a Color Matched Speedo/Tach for $350. Only problem is no instructions. Course the dealer is ticked I didn't buy it from him.

Anybody got the install papers?

I'll have some good photo's as soon as my new camera comes in.

Last edited by wlbowers; 09-04-2008 at 06:33 PM. Reason: double text
Old 09-04-2008, 06:48 PM
higg47
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the unit is a plug in with the extra wires already in the console. The down side is you have to have the dealer certify the odometer reading.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:26 PM
CrawdadAZ
Road Master

Mines an '02 but the new unit was a direct replacement with one extra wire that is already in the bikes harness (who would a thunk it). It's the pink wire (in my case). I had no trouble finding it in the harness. And higg47 is correct, only the dealer can set the mileage on the new one. I would never be able to find my instructions, but if you can get the old one out, the new one will go right in.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:53 PM
wlbowers
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 97 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by CrawdadAZ
Mines an '02 but the new unit was a direct replacement with one extra wire that is already in the bikes harness (who would a thunk it). It's the pink wire (in my case). I had no trouble finding it in the harness. And higg47 is correct, only the dealer can set the mileage on the new one. I would never be able to find my instructions, but if you can get the old one out, the new one will go right in.
Well I was told the dealer cannot set the mileage the factory has to do it.

Yea and i guess the dealer is ticked at me for not buying my ride from him. They told me "It needs to be sent into the factory and they wouldn't do it!"

I did plug it on and the tach works fine. I think the new ones get their signal from the data buss. If you have a pulse tach it gets the signal from the pink wire.

I have 3777 miles on the current speedometer. I would like to have it read right but I could live with out it. There is another dealer in this area. I'll call them in the morning.

I've got to get a security system installed and programmed to the fob. I need to find out if the speedo/tach needs to be installed first.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:14 PM
CrawdadAZ
Road Master

I don't remember now if the dealer set it or if I ordered it and it came set to what I specified. I do remember that I picked a mileage that was more than I currently had on the old one and just waited to install it until actual mileage matched the new one. In your case (for instance) have it set at 4000 and then install it when you have 4000 or there abouts. The problem with putting the new one on at zero miles is.......... I'm not sure.
When you sell it, the mileage is mis-represented?
You may lose track of when to do maintenance?
Service shops may not perform certain scheduled checks.
Not really sure what all.............

Good luck with the security system. I know even less about that.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:14 PM
Fat Boy 07
Advanced

-----

Old 09-04-2008, 10:38 PM
irishfastback
Cruiser

When I ordered mine, the factory had to set it to what I wanted...Dealership never even checked to make sure the miles were the same...They were, but they did not check...

Old 09-04-2008, 10:55 PM
ownasofttail
Road Warrior

My dealer wanted me to leave my bike with them so the miles would be right.They say they set it at the factory & could take a couple weeks to get.So i passed on the speedo/tach combo.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:00 AM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 203 Posts

I did the same as Crawdad... ordered it with more miles than I had on the bike, and waited until it was at the same mileage to change it out. It was an extremely simple installation.

If you can't get it sync'd up, at least record the new/old mileages in your manual for legal record - I believe that is acceptable from a legal standpoint. Record the mileages, date it, sign it, and you should be covered.

Roger

Old 09-05-2008, 11:00 AM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Problem is the ECM mileage and odometer won't match up with the Digi-tech II diagnostic system (I doubt the dealer would change the ECM due to legalities). I believe the tach and speedo get their input from the TSSM and you can change out the speedo/tach anytime without password learn. Does new speedo have the little light for the security system? If not, this may be a problem. The factory does set the mileage and doesn't have to be exact as long as "to the best of your knowledge" it is correct. My LED crapped out so I had to guess-timate my for DMV/factory paperwork. If the dealer doesn't want to do this (???) contact the Company; sure they'd be interested in talking to this dealership.

Quick Reply: Speedo/Tach upgrade