Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Boy -or- Heritae Softail Classic?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 11:31 PM
HTiger
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fat Boy -or- Heritae Softail Classic?

I'm close to a decision on a bike and I've narrowed the choice to a Fat Boy or a Heritage Softail Classic. The only think I don't like about the HSC is the (in my personal opinion) way overdone number of studs adorning the bags, seat, etc., etc. I like things a little more understated and conservative. Thus, with a FB, I can add bags I like and, along with a windshield and quick detach stuff I will have a bike that can be stripped down for country day rides or snapped back on for overnighters.

I've been told that the HSC is more comfortable and is a better two-up machine.

Any advice?

If the HSC is better, how specifically is the ride or other qualities better?

Thanks in advance; this is a great forum and I've learned a lot just reading!

Old 10-06-2008, 11:32 PM
Solitaree1
Road Master

windshield and bags included, or windshield and bags, extra. also the heritage has the driving spots, that I don't think the fat boy does. shrug, personal preference. older models have different style bags, just depend on what you wanna do with it.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:13 AM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Basically same bike, different additions. They seem to ride the same. Fat Boy has a bigger rear tire. Heritage has bags and windshield. Fat Boy has solid wheels, Heritage has spoke wheels. You get the idea. Good choice either way.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:17 AM
HawgMan_renamed
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Heritage Classic of coarse.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:34 AM
Dustmaker
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say buy this:

And you can always do this:

I can have everything (bags, passenger pillion, backrest, passenger boards, windshield and engine gaurd) back on in 30 to 45 minutes.

I am not sure what the price difference is between the two, but I bet you will have a hard time buying just the bags to make up the difference.

Both are very nice bikes!

Old 10-07-2008, 12:41 AM
Strick
Cruiser

Heritage can for a real basic statement be made into a fat boy with spoke wheels and fuller fenders. I LIKE the spoke wheels in both appearance and function over the fatboy. I also like that the bags, rear seat and sissybar, along with a windshield, is included on the Heritage.

As far as the solid wheels go, I always thought the wind issue was an urban legend. That was until I was gifted a V-rod from my wife. Solid wheels and the air issues are not a myth.

If I could figure out how to post pics here I would post my heritage and then my fake fat boy.

Last edited by Strick; 10-07-2008 at 12:47 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:00 AM
HTiger
Novice
Default Whoa!

Originally Posted by Dustmaker
I say buy this:
{...pic snipped...}

And you can always do this:
{...pic snipped...}

I can have everything (bags, passenger pillion, backrest, passenger boards, windshield and engine gaurd) back on in 30 to 45 minutes.

I am not sure what the price difference is between the two, but I bet you will have a hard time buying just the bags to make up the difference.

Both are very nice bikes!
Now that is impressive! Pictures are worth a lotta' words!

And it's what I am looking for: A bike that can travel or be thinned down for cruising the country roads for a few hours on a Saturday morning and look like a motorcycle.

I see you've added some goodies to your lights, grips and rear floorboards to replace the pegs. Very nice bike!

As to your question about the cost difference, the HSC is currently (going by '09 MSRP) $2,000 more than the FB.

I understand that H-D sells some quick-release contraptions that can be added to make the bags and sissy bar come off and go on in a matter of seconds. That, rear floorboards and crash bars would be about all I'd add onto an HSC.

Thanks for the responses so far. Anyone else?

Old 10-07-2008, 01:06 AM
HTiger
Novice
Default I'd like to see 'em...

Originally Posted by Strick
Heritage can for a real basic statement be made into a fat boy with spoke wheels and fuller fenders. I LIKE the spoke wheels in both appearance and function over the fatboy. I also like that the bags, rear seat and sissybar, along with a windshield, is included on the Heritage.
Sounds nice. I like the old-school, traditional motorcycle look, too.

If I could figure out how to post pics here I would post my heritage and then my fake fat boy.
If you can get the picture posting figured out (I'm new and never tried to post photos) like Dustmaker (above), I'd love to see your HSC and "fake" Fat Boy, too.

Thanks!

Old 10-07-2008, 01:13 AM
Strick
Cruiser

2nd try on the pics:

Heritage:

Fake fatboy:

NOTE - no baby moon on MY front wheel. I really like the simple spoke look!

Old 10-07-2008, 01:39 AM
HTiger
Novice
Default Super!

2nd try on the pics:

Heritage:

{...pic snipped...}

Fake fatboy:

{...pic snipped...}

NOTE - no baby moon on MY front wheel. I really like the simple spoke look!
Thanks! I am really impressed at how the HSC can look great either loaded up for traveling or stripped down. And that's a nice lookin' bike you have--great colors.

The baby-moon on the front wheel--is it easily removed? Any performance issues or other structual problems? I do think I like the spoked wheels better. It fits my taste for the traditional American motorcycle look.

Thanks again! Any others out there with thoughts, ideas or pics?

Last edited by HTiger; 10-07-2008 at 01:42 AM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: Fat Boy -or- Heritae Softail Classic?