Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS for the Road Trips

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 07:36 AM
hdbe
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GPS for the Road Trips

Anyone using a GPS for the long trips on there softtail? If so what brand & hookup technique?

Old 10-19-2008, 09:11 AM
rsavage
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gps

I use a Garmin C580 for both GPS and MP3 Music capability. I have used it for about a year and 5500 miles and have been satisfied with its performance. It snaps on and off the mount and unplugs in seconds, so it can be used in the car or truck too. I hard wired and switched it and the self- amplified speakers into the bike. I attached a photo.

Attached Thumbnails GPS for the Road Trips-cimg2476.jpg  
Old 10-19-2008, 09:22 AM
Reverend
Tourer

Got a relatively old (these days!) Garmin Street Pilot 2610, to which I bolted a RAM ball mount. It then mounts to the handlebars via a RAM U-bolt clamp.

Wiring wise, when it was on the Glide I simply plugged the cigarette lighter lead into the socket, but can't do that on the 'Bones so I'm aiming to hard wire the lead and put the unit between the bar clamps.

It's a plug-ugly thing to have bolted onto your bars, but it saves soooo much hassle when you're miles from home..

Old 10-19-2008, 09:58 AM
eod_punk
Advanced

I picked up the Garmin Zumo 550, great little GPS. Comes with everything you need to mount it on the bike, either with a U-bolt or onto the switch housing by the hand grip, and also a mount for in the car. I ran the power under the console and wired it directly to the switch and to a screw on the tank for the ground. The ball mount is made by www.ram-mount.com which comes with it.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:12 AM
RoadWolf71
Intermediate

I'm looking at buying a Zumo 550 in the near future.

Two questions, 1) how easy does the mount come off of the bike? I'll likely only use it on weekends or for long trips, and I dont particularly want a big ugly mount just there and empty.

2) Also, does the power supply plug into the mount or the unit itself, does it have some kind of weather cap for when it's not connected?

Old 10-19-2008, 10:31 AM
keno
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Garmin 2610 with ball mount and hardwired.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:32 AM
eod_punk
Advanced

The mount thats in the picture I leave on all the time. Its just a small 1" ball thats black. You could take it off if you wanted it mounts onto the turn signal housing with the two screws that mount the housing to the handle bars. You would just have to pull out the extended screws and put the original screws back in. Might take you 2 minutes if your really drunk. Like I said I just leave the ball mount on the bike because the power cord is there anyways too. The GPS mount itself comes off the ball even easier. The GPS mount has a 1" ball on the back of it, like on the handle bar, and you have a clam like clamp that goes between the two ***** that screws together so it doesn't go anywhere.

I know the cup holder isn't what your asking about but it showed the arm the clearest. Also you can mount anything to the ball and arm such as the cup holder or a camera mount so you can video tape your rides.

The plug for the power plugs into the mount, not the GPS itself. It does not come with a cap to put over it when not in use. I've been told that you can pick up some small rubber caps that will fit over it at your local auto zone or similar. I forget what they are called though.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:51 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/254487-gps-system-installed-love-it.html
Magellan 4210+ Kuryakyn 12V power + Rammount = $230
What happen when it rains? Ziplock bags.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:59 AM
eod_punk
Advanced

Thats one good thing about the Zumo 550 its water proof/resistant, so no ziplock.

128 do you usually ride with the GPS up by the grips or down by the speedo?

Old 10-19-2008, 12:25 PM
Z06_Pilot
Tourer

Zumo 450. fantastic. designed for use on a bike....left handed controls. large letters for typing in addresses with gloves on. very nice mounting ball/bracket(made by RAM), that fits in between my bare knuckle risers. wired to the ignition switch, so it is only powered while I am riding the bike....

Quick Reply: GPS for the Road Trips