Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kuryakyn Transmission Shroud

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 09:15 PM
plane
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kuryakyn Transmission Shroud

The instructions for installation aren't spot on in that they say to be gentle moving the rear oil bag line to slip the front half of the chrome cover under the rear oil line.

I worked for over an hour trying to figure out this chinese puzzle. I finally decided to move the rear oil line as far as I could by hand (meaning no levers) and damned if the thing didn't fall into place. My fingers are pretty sore but I have no leaks so I guess the instructions mean gentle as in USE YOUR HANDS ONLY. This would have saved an hours worth of frustration.

The result is a whole lot of punch for the buck. Couldn't be happier in the desired results.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:50 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

that thing looks pretty sweet man !!!

Old 10-21-2008, 11:39 PM
plane
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks man, I thought putting a picture with the words would make it a better message.

I was thinking that the chrome cover cops were going to jump on this saying that they rattle, chrome flakes, etc. but this cover is top notch and there is no way in hell it will rattle. It doesn't even touch the tranny case except at two mounting points. Awesome product.

Part #7878 in case anyone is interested. For '07 and Later Softails.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:16 PM
londo-cat
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the same issue with the kuryakyn Transmission Shroud #7878. Looking at the rather horrible instructions on the piece of paper, I decided to download the PDF so I could *ZOOM IN* to the picture.

Little GOOD that did - that picture on the documentation is ***CRAP***!

Anyway, after spending an HOUR trying to get that thing on, I decided to scrap it and do some research on HDForums.

Found the thread by plane and sure enough, it confirmed my suspicions that it was horrible to install and I had to really pull the lower oil line a bit farther out and then the corner edge of the lower transmission shroud cover pops over the transmission bolt cover and then it jangles around there pretty easy after that - and then its easy enough to get it on after that.

After the right piece of the transmission shroud was in place, one thing I did was fasten the center 10-24 .625 button head cap screw *FIRST*, and THEN maneuver it into place and lock down the two 10-24 .325 button head cap screws to fasten it onto the stand-off studs.

I found that this was far easier and less of a problem than fasten the .625 screw last, I thought that was insanity...

But, once its on, it looks fantastic. Solid piece too.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:50 AM
Motown Strag
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this cover...I scrapped it trying to get it off when I changed over to the HD front and rear transition cover. The Kury piece only extends the chrome a minimal amount around the side cover. I wanted a better flow front to back and the transition cover from the MoCo really does the trick if there is anyone looking for some better coverage.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:51 PM
S.D.M.F
Road Warrior
Received 339 Likes on 218 Posts

The rubik's cube is easier to solve than the installation of the front part of the 2 peice shroud.
Once the front peice is behind the oil line, the install is very easy.
They look good too.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:14 PM
skiddd
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same issue's with my cover, wanted to throw it a mile and kill everyone around me. then I figured it out....

Old 01-21-2013, 07:32 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

It boils down to the same thing almost every time....

**** just shouldn't be that difficult to install. There was a thread not to long ago about difficulty installing a headlamp visor of all things.

It just shouldn't be that difficult.

I recently put on rocker bolt covers. There are small tabs inside the cover that "snap" over the bolt. You would think that thumb pressure would press the cover on. Nope. Oh, I know, hand pressure...nope. Ah... I'll use a flat screwdriver. That'll sure give me the leverage....nope. I ended up having to expand the tabs on the inside with pliers so they would slip over the bolt easier. There were 8 covers. Give me an f'in break.

Here we go again. It just shouldn't be that difficult.

It better look good after spending an hour sweating over something that should have taken 10 minutes !