Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Management system

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 07:12 PM
chromedome
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Management system

I've had V&H True Dual on for some time now and honestly the bike has been running fine. Much said here about adding a fuel management system (like Fuel Pak) and putting on a heavy air breather (like Big Sucker). I'm wondering what I would actually notice the difference to be if I was do this?

Old 10-23-2008, 07:58 PM
wb0zrd
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I put a set of slip-on's, SE air cleaner kit and a FuelPak on my '07 Heritage. It did improve the performance some, but not "holy smoke what a big difference". What it did do was cool the thing down, out of the box it was running about as lean as HD could get it and still have it run. I lost about 5 mpg on fuel milage, but this is to be expected because the FuelPak richen's up the fuel mixture. The bike runs flawlessly with the FuelPak. I'm happy.

Paul in Colorado

Old 10-23-2008, 08:21 PM
Lucky 13
Road Master

Nice lookin bike Chromedome. I ran just pipes on my 08' for about a year. 6 weeks ago, I did a big sucker and Fuelpak. Thought it ran pritty good with just pipes, wrong! The fuelpak really gave me more reponce and more noticable torque. Runs cooler too. Still gets 43 MPG jut like before.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:28 PM
07fat_boy
Cruiser

I don't have an air breather kit on my Fat Boy yet, but I have installed a set of SE slip-ons. I probably could have done without any fuel management device, but I decided to give the XiEDs a chance. I haven't ridden very far on them yet, but so far I like what I'm seeing; the bike runs cooler and the mid-range power feels better.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:51 PM
Ole Coyote
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed a F/P and Big Sucker to go with my Straight shot pipes. It made a hel* of a difference in torque and throttle response on my xbones. I did this about 4,000 miles ago and have not had ONE problem.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:59 PM
chromedome
Road Master

Thanks folks. Thanks for compliment Lucky13... back at you. Those of you who have the big sucker, do you know if the HD 8" smooth round air cleaner cover will fit? HD29153-07.

I ordered the big sucker and fuelpak today so glad to hear everyone is happy.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:16 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

You should be able to get a round cover over that, I believe that there are a number of guys running that setup. I have one on my bike, but I have a different filter setup than the big sucker.
One thing you want to watch out for when you get the round cover is that there are two differnt versions of it. Both are exactly the same size and should fit just fine, but one has a notch in the top to accomodate the choke (I think) on carbed bikes. But with the EFI you have its not needed and detracts from the look.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:29 PM
chromedome
Road Master

Originally Posted by Citoriplus
You should be able to get a round cover over that, I believe that there are a number of guys running that setup. I have one on my bike, but I have a different filter setup than the big sucker.
One thing you want to watch out for when you get the round cover is that there are two differnt versions of it. Both are exactly the same size and should fit just fine, but one has a notch in the top to accomodate the choke (I think) on carbed bikes. But with the EFI you have its not needed and detracts from the look.

Thanks Citoriplus. Good info. I wondered about the HD cover because it has a screw in the middle and the Arlen Ness one didn't.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:28 AM
rns99
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats the cover I run and it goes right on with no trouble.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:44 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

If you look at the Big Sucker kit the filter has four holes in it.
Three are to mount it to the base plate and the center one is for the filter cover.
The round nostalga cover comes with a chrome 1/4-20 Phillips screw that fits in it.