Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel mileage got better after air/slip-on/fuel-pak ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 11:57 PM
mile high king
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fuel mileage got better after air/slip-on/fuel-pak ???

Is this unusual? My fuel mileage has actually improved after putting on SE air cleaner, V&H ovals and V&H fuel pak on my 08. Bike run's great, but I expected it to add more fuel, so how can I be getter better mileage?? Went from 45mpg to 50mpg in similar mostly back-highway riding.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:35 AM
nujohn
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fuel mileage got better after air/slip-on/fuel-pak ???

50wow
I think most are in low 40s

Old 06-01-2008, 06:14 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine dropped to around 35-38 with the fuel pak/se ac/rinehart slip-ons. Fuly thing is on my 07 with the same exact set-up I would get 45-50.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:22 AM
winston chopper
Tourer

I dont think my bike got 50 ever. Rough estimates are over slightly over 40. I have only tested the milage when it was stock and havnt did one since but ut seems about the same? I am curious to see if others got better? Good thread King.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:15 AM
tmblweed
Road Captain

This MPG thing pops up now and again...I hear that if you live in the mountains you get better mileage. I won't believe anyone gets 50mpg on a bagger unless I see it, sorry. 40-43 mpg is doing good on a STOCK bike.

[IMG]local://upfiles/45502/7C69A6672DA440AB8027ECDA93D36257.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-01-2008, 08:01 AM
wagsrk08
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm happy to crack 40 mpg @ 65-70 mph (w/cruise) and about 3400 miles on bike. Lately mid 30's due to WINDY conditions here in NW Ohio. Feel like a kite going down the highway.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:11 AM
Bossman1
Outstanding HDF Member

I just checked my 07 DELUX and it was 37.3. I gotta stop twistin that right hand thingie!!!!!!!!!!!!

BOSSMAN

Old 06-01-2008, 08:32 AM
mile high king
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A little more information on this for those of you surprised with the absolute mpg I list. Riding at high elevation WILL increase your gas mileage because there is less air available to mix with the gas on a FI vehicle. I also have a 1000cc FI crotch-rocket and it gets much higher mpg in the mountains than when I take it to sea level. That's the good part. The bad part is you also lose horsepower at elevation. I have read 3% for every 1000 feet gain in elevation. That means that at 5000 feet, I make 15% less horsepower than at sea level. I presume that means 15% better mpg than at sea level. 50 mpg at 5000 elevation equals about 43 mpg at sea level. Also, my calcs are using the mileage as given by the H-D odometer, which I have read can be optimistic by a few %, so that can also inflate the mpg, but only by a little.

Anyway, my real question was around my surprise that after adding the SE air cleaner, V&H slip-ons and V&H fuel-pak that the mileage would improve, becausethose changes allow more airinto the motor and the fuel-paktricks the ECM into adding more fuel. Didn't make sense to me? Looks like most so far are seeing LOWER mpg with those changes?

Old 06-01-2008, 10:58 AM
tmblweed
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: mile high king

A little more information on this for those of you surprised with the absolute mpg I list. Riding at high elevation WILL increase your gas mileage because there is less air available to mix with the gas on a FI vehicle. I also have a 1000cc FI crotch-rocket and it gets much higher mpg in the mountains than when I take it to sea level. That's the good part. The bad part is you also lose horsepower at elevation. I have read 3% for every 1000 feet gain in elevation. That means that at 5000 feet, I make 15% less horsepower than at sea level. I presume that means 15% better mpg than at sea level. 50 mpg at 5000 elevation equals about 43 mpg at sea level. Also, my calcs are using the mileage as given by the H-D odometer, which I have read can be optimistic by a few %, so that can also inflate the mpg, but only by a little.

Anyway, my real question was around my surprise that after adding the SE air cleaner, V&H slip-ons and V&H fuel-pak that the mileage would improve, becausethose changes allow more airinto the motor and the fuel-paktricks the ECM into adding more fuel. Didn't make sense to me? Looks like most so far are seeing LOWER mpg with those changes?
OK, you INCREASED your fuel and AIR intake when you modified it, right. Its impossible to increase MPG like that unless you had some kind of problem before that dropped your gas mileage. Also if you have less air to mix with the fuel input you have incomplete combustion? Wouldn't that waste gas? I'm just guessing on this one. I'm really not trying to be difficult about this, it just doesn't seem possible under normal conditions.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:09 AM
mphamrick
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got back from vacation and with a rider got 44 mpg. I thought that was really good and we are not both light weights eather.

Quick Reply: Fuel mileage got better after air/slip-on/fuel-pak ???