Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjust Belt on Fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 11:21 AM
ajaugust
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjust Belt on Fatboy

My 2007 Fatboy still has the stock exhaust system. I need to adjust the final belt drive. Obviously, there is no problem in accessing the adjustment bolts on the drive side, but what the heck do you do to access the adjustment bolts on the exhaust side?? There is just no way to get any wrench or tool to get past the exhaust silencers in order to grab the head of the adjustment bolt.
Please don't tell me I have to remove the exhaust to adjust the belt...
Thanks for any advice.
Alan

Last edited by ajaugust; 03-24-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:42 PM
AR-15 DEUCE
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I had the stock pipes,I had to remove the slip-on to get to it...I know just get new pipes while your at it,that way next time,your all set

Old 03-24-2009, 02:58 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Good excuse to get new pipes if you ask me. "Honey, I couldn't get to the bolt without changing the pipes."

Old 03-24-2009, 03:11 PM
crazybastid83
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can get in there with a crow's foot, but the easiest way is to take the muffler off. The muffler clamp is a one use "Torca" clamp. You can try to reuse it, if it doesn't hold tight, you may have to get a new one, about $8.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:14 PM
ajaugust
Cruiser

Originally Posted by AR-15 DEUCE
When I had the stock pipes,I had to remove the slip-on to get to it...I know just get new pipes while your at it,that way next time,your all set
That would be nice... That is, to get new pipes.

Originally Posted by anubisss
Good excuse to get new pipes if you ask me. "Honey, I couldn't get to the bolt without changing the pipes."
Maybe we can form a support group that will rally around my cause and we can all sing in unison... "He needs new pipes...He needs new pipes"

Truth be told, I actually like the stock pipes and how they fit the bike, at least as far as looks are concerned. It just sucks to think you gotta take apart the exhaust to get at that bolt!!

Anyway, thanks for you responses.
Ride safe!

Old 03-24-2009, 03:19 PM
ajaugust
Cruiser

Originally Posted by crazybastid83
You can get in there with a crow's foot, but the easiest way is to take the muffler off. The muffler clamp is a one use "Torca" clamp. You can try to reuse it, if it doesn't hold tight, you may have to get a new one, about $8.
Thanks for the tip on the Torca clamp. I'm generally fairly careful when I dismantle stuff, but sometimes things just happen. I will likely pick up couple of those clamps to have in the spare bin. But, I like the idea of crow's foot..., that might just do the trick.
Thanks!!

Last edited by ajaugust; 03-24-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:42 AM
ajaugust
Cruiser
Thumbs up Crow's foot rules!!

Originally Posted by crazybastid83
Hey crazybastid83,
I used a crow's foot. And, guess what, it worked. I borrowed a 9/16" crow's foot and slip onto the end of a 10" drive extension. It was tricky at first, but once I realized I was able to get full range of movement as I rotated the extension with a ratchet, there was no problem. To tighten it up, I was still able to "insert" an open 9/16" box wrench in between both mufflers and hold onto the adjustment bolt while I tightened the set knut with the crow's foot. Waa Laa. The belt was adjusted all in about 7 minutes. Obvioulsy, were it not for the stock mufflers as they are placed directly off the axle and belt adjustment bolt, it likely would have been easier. But, using your suggestion, I did not have to mess with the stock exhaust at all. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ride safe!