Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Jockey Shift Install n' Ride Report.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 09:54 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Jockey Shift Install n' Ride Report.

I had another thread going in regards to handlebar swapping and stuff but figured since lots of folks considering doing a Jockey shift on their Softails I figgered to start a thread that will pull up when they do a search...

First off installation is a breeze and the clean no wire look on the ex-clutched side of the bike is really cool. To play in with the whole no clutch cable minimalist deal I also made myself a front brake cable using the ultra skinny 3/16 black Parker brake line using Russel fitting and ran a set of plain simple black Cross bones throttle lines.

I also used my levers along with my black knurled pegs. The LA Jockey kit comes with a chrome clutch pedal and long *** tip but I didnt want that on my bike. The shaft size is the same as any big twin gearshift lever so swapping out yours isnt required.

Oddly the brake feel through the skinny Parker line far exceeds that of the big stainless Magnum chromiters I had previously. Very cool stuff. Cheap too!!! The supplied Barnett clutch cable needs to be coaxed into a place where it dosent stick out. This is an issue if you have 3" extended controls. Luckily my tool bag hides some of the madness. But its there for sure.

Following a fellow members lead (Nice way to say Copy-Cat!) I had a guy who is crafty with a grinder and dremel grind my factory clutch perch down into a sweet looking piece that retains that nice OEM matchup between switch housing and clamp.

I had an issue with one of the bolts in my kit. It had been chromed and wouldnt sug down correctly leaving me with a wobbling shift lever. A quick trip to ace hardwhere' solved the issue.

Good time to drain and change yer' gear oil as well as the clutch cover coming off will leak a lil' fluid.

Easy install and short of the absolute pain in the *** of reinstalling my Rinehart pipes (They need to be flexed out to get back on the studs...Like Alot)

Now for the riding.

I adjusted the clutch to where I figgered it would work and rolled down my driveway in first gear holding the clutch. It took me a minute to acclimate to where the clutch released but no stalling and it wasnt a couple stop signs and a red light before I was feeling pretty cocky, confident and ready and lo and behold I was hammering through the gears WFO and felt like a Jockey shifting superstar!!

I went to a local school with a hilly parking area and tried to put myself in the funkiest positions possible simulating red lights and stop signs on off camber hills etc...

I did manage to stall it one time at the school as my ankle started to get fatiqued holding it down!! I have the SE heavy clutch in my bike and since its an 05' it has a heavy clutch to start with....

At the end of the first hour of riding arund the hood' I headed out into heavy traffic and got my Jockey on. It was a blast. My face is sore from smiling too much. People watch you reach and shift and you can see the odd suprised look on their faces especially those who ride bikes.

Now one thing that made this Jockey deal work so well is the Mini Apes I put on my bike....Man those narrow bars made my bike feel more stable than an oil tanker. The wide bars were like overassited powersteering. The 31" bar totally changes the way the bike handles and the 12" rise is spot on. The Krome Werks narrow Ape bar is hands down the most comfortable bar I have ever ridden with.....My hard *** LePera seat didnt even hurt my *** and I rode for 5-6 hours today.

So Jockey? Hell yeah. I wont be going back anytime soon. Its fun. I ride the most extreme trails and terrain in the state of Colorado on my KTM's off road bikes and comparitivly my Harley just wasnt involving enough to keep me happy. Its is now. I can run through the gears almost as fast as I did with my hand clucth. I'm shocked at how easy it is to go fast with one hand off the bars!

If you had any doubts about foot clutching and hand shiftin'? Put them aside. Its a gas.

Love this old turd!!!

Next up....Panhead emblem and cue ball shifter install!!

Old 06-23-2009, 09:59 PM
ElSupremo
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That looks sweet! I love the look of a Jockey shift, and I've always wanted one. Maybe on the next bike.

Good job, and nice write up.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:05 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

Glad to see you got the cable tucked in. Looks great, and as you said, "It's a gas."

Old 06-23-2009, 10:08 PM
Zacharia_11
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chazmanian

Yup, bars definatly working on that bike Chaz! Solid choice.

Next stop TeaBag tank emblems. Can't wait to see how that turns out.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:09 PM
Keith4001r
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Closer pics of the shifter, please.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:21 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

Originally Posted by Zacharia_11
Yup, bars definatly working on that bike Chaz! Solid choice.

Next stop TeaBag tank emblems. Can't wait to see how that turns out.

I boilerd them again...

I want an actual antique looking ivory color on em. I have the ivory but they still look new?

I really wanna bury them in the dirt til next year. I think that would gimme the color I'm after!!

Naw...they go on as soon as I get my Ivory cue ball drilled and install a threaded insert.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:29 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

Originally Posted by Keith4001r
Closer pics of the shifter, please.

The shifter itself is very subdued....

That will change when I get my derned lil' medium sized cue ball shift **** tapped and drilled for it tho~

Along with a set of these Panhead emblems off E-Slay. I been boiling mine in Coffee, tea, basil leafs trying to turn the white into a vintage almost yellow without resorting to chemicals or paint.

I thought about some Dog poop but my wife said not in her pans in her house in her lifetime. I had to agree!!

Said some voodoo chants too. They are almost an antique ivory look...Almost!

Anyone got any ideas what else I should boil the fvckers in???

No chemicals. Gotta be natural. Wont look right if its done with chemicals....

Old 06-23-2009, 10:33 PM
old skool1983
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

congrats man, looks like it all worked out....wait till your off balance and in gear and you have to put your left foot down.....that sucks lol

Old 06-23-2009, 10:42 PM
travis dasher
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chaz. AWESOME!! pretty much sums it up. Your bike looks sick bro. I am really considering going suicide/jockey shift or suicide/tank shift, after seeing your pics and reading your right up I think it is being moved to the top of the list. Was the install pretty straight forward? It seems it. When I get it I will be hitting you up.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:46 PM
Carmell RKC
Road Captain

Chaz, as the "Dude" said in The Big Lebowski, your bike "really tied the room together", looks really good !! What about some wood working stain for dying the **** ? Definately stay away from the dog turds.

Quick Reply: New Jockey Shift Install n' Ride Report.