Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crossbones would'nt start

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 11:01 PM
tA_GTA
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crossbones would'nt start

Hey guys, yesterday me and a buddy went for a ride to a bbq. As we were leaving i was about to start the bike, waited for the fuel pump to stop whining then as soon as i hit start it went clunk and completely went off (like when your battery is dead) except it did'nt even turn over! So i look at the guage and the clock has reset itself and is flashing 12:00. So i thought it was maybe the security acting up so i took my fob out of my pocket and kept it on the bikes seat, same nothing it only worked in acc mode. So i took the seat and pan off looked at the batt terminals just fine, so i tried to turn the bike on and it happened again. So as im making sure nothings grounded out or loose on the bike i happened to notice that my buddy who was looking at the bike 5 mins prior to me leaving had tightened the cruise control screw and it was at half throttle. So as he was disconnecting the battery and letting it sit I undid the cruise control and he hooked up the battery again and it fired up first crank and everything was fine no engine light or anything! I rode about 150mi home no problem. He wiped the terminals but they still had the blue grease from the factory still on them, so today i disconnected them and wire brushed the batt and terminals and put dilectric grease on them both. The bikes still fine. I checked the service manual given the symptoms it said loose or corroded battery connection or bank angle sensor was tripped. The terminals were minutely dirty the only reason i brushed and greased them was to play it safe. Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas or was it just the terminals?

Old 07-26-2010, 08:06 AM
tA_GTA
Advanced

anyone?

Old 07-26-2010, 09:28 AM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let me clarify....
Your buddy is screwing with your bike..tightens the cruise control at half throttle..your bike will not start..you return the throttle to zero and it starts?

Never had this issue....

CC

Old 07-26-2010, 10:24 AM
Big Ted
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds to me that it won't start if the throttle position is not at idle. Don't know if that is a safety feature or not, but it sounds good to me.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:04 PM
tA_GTA
Advanced

that is true BUT why would the clock reset itself? Or was it the terminal connection was poor and when it needed to draw large amounts from the battery it could'nt?

Old 07-26-2010, 11:25 PM
Suziesosweet
Advanced

I had the same thing happen to me on my trip across Canada/USA. It just didn't start, I checked everything, ignition, kill/run, start, battery but there was absolutely nothing not even a clunk. Tried it again and bang it went, this happened to me several times.

I was hoping it was just me being tired.

s

Old 07-27-2010, 07:50 PM
tA_GTA
Advanced

Originally Posted by Suziesosweet
I had the same thing happen to me on my trip across Canada/USA. It just didn't start, I checked everything, ignition, kill/run, start, battery but there was absolutely nothing not even a clunk. Tried it again and bang it went, this happened to me several times.

I was hoping it was just me being tired.

s
What year and model harley? And is yours under warranty? Also did you see your security light blinking too? And the clock reset itself?

Old 07-28-2010, 01:12 PM
Suziesosweet
Advanced

It's a 2008, and it's still under warrenty. Yes the security lights flashed but I don't know bout the clock as I still havn't set it.

I tried the start button several times and there was absolutely nothing. I checked everything and it was as it should be, ignition on, run on I even checked the battery. I then turned everything off and it started no problem. That happened to me twice, a little scarey when you 3,000 miles away from home in the middle of no where. Both times I thought maybe it was me. I was gone 3.5 weeks with the bike, got home last Friday and I havn't been back on him since. Sore buttttttt and it's raining here but I'm sure to him out this weekend.

s

Old 07-28-2010, 01:20 PM
sBender
Tourer

It may have been the FOB syncing issue. Sometimes they get a little off whack and sync themselves (revolving codes).

Old 07-28-2010, 01:31 PM
colonelangus1
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Big Ted
Sounds to me that it won't start if the throttle position is not at idle. Don't know if that is a safety feature or not, but it sounds good to me.
most efi vehicles wont start if the throttle is half way down..your right the throttle positioning sensor is probably why his wouldnt start..ive seen it before just not on the bikes ..i know what ill be doing to my buddies bike tonight..lol

Quick Reply: crossbones would'nt start