Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 05:10 PM
RocketRocker
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aussie HD- Just recently went through the whole cam hunt....local wrench was trying to get me into some .575's (S&S) I digressed and went with the .555 S&S easy starts and of course "adjustable" pushrods along with new pushrod covers. I agree with Drew, the hyper charger thing is a performance steeler. Dyno tuning after you finish the install is a must to make sure you burning rich enough. Good luck and nice bike. Oh, then the question is gear or chain? I went chain cause Im a cheap ****....either way your gonna feel the tq in 3-4th..definitely noticable.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:54 PM
Aussie HD
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketRocker
Aussie HD- Just recently went through the whole cam hunt....local wrench was trying to get me into some .575's (S&S) I digressed and went with the .555 S&S easy starts and of course "adjustable" pushrods along with new pushrod covers. I agree with Drew, the hyper charger thing is a performance steeler. Dyno tuning after you finish the install is a must to make sure you burning rich enough. Good luck and nice bike. Oh, then the question is gear or chain? I went chain cause Im a cheap ****....either way your gonna feel the tq in 3-4th..definitely noticable.
Excellent RR, thanks a heap for the feedback, you have a great bike too.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:04 PM
RjCapp
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tman performance has nice upgrades. Check it out:

http://www.tmanperformance.com/

Old 09-21-2010, 08:00 PM
Aussie HD
Tourer

Originally Posted by RjCapp
tman performance has nice upgrades. Check it out:

http://www.tmanperformance.com/
Cheers mate.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:12 AM
billiamharley
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aussie HD
Now that was my next question, aren't thest filters oil protected these days??
I don't think the oil protection is strong enough at freeway speeds; additionally, you want impact protection from airborne objects hitting your filter. Chances are very small but something to consider. Does RSD offer a cover option? I have high performance setups (Stage II/III) on both of my Harleys but they both have factory style covers over the K&N elements. Whatever additional flow you might get is insignificant running without a cover. You just don't want the factory stock design that completely envelopes the filter as a sealed unit. A lot of these very open element designs are for appearance and/or racing where every horsepower matters at high rpm.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:36 AM
Aussie HD
Tourer

Originally Posted by billiamharley
I don't think the oil protection is strong enough at freeway speeds; additionally, you want impact protection from airborne objects hitting your filter. Chances are very small but something to consider. Does RSD offer a cover option? I have high performance setups (Stage II/III) on both of my Harleys but they both have factory style covers over the K&N elements. Whatever additional flow you might get is insignificant running without a cover. You just don't want the factory stock design that completely envelopes the filter as a sealed unit. A lot of these very open element designs are for appearance and/or racing where every horsepower matters at high rpm.
I will have to check out whether or not the RSD comes with a rain cover, I like the look of it but it has to be practicle too. Not much point having a filter that goes to crap if I get stuck in the rain.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:16 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by Aussie HD
Hi guys

Hey I was just wondering what mods and improvements you have done to your engines on the 2009 Night Train, or any model for that matter. I am looking at upgrading my cams, what else will I need to change, what are the best brands around and I am looking at getting a bit better speed performance.

Thanks folks
Originally Posted by mike06train
Use the search option. Cams, big bore kits, heads, exhaust , fuel management & a/c.
loads of info.
================================================== ==

Dont have to do a search,,,,, just go to the DNYO sections in the softail or tourning sections...Most members in here don't even know we have them.

Theres one in the softail and touring Sections....

It show what others have gotten on different builds,, cams, pipes, ETC, ETC

Just look through here and see what other have used and the Numbers they got on their Dyno tunes..

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...-softails.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...r-baggers.html