Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECM Relocation w/ Shorai Battery

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 11:38 AM
TroyGT
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all... just wanted to say that I just relocated my ECM on my 2009 Iron and used the Shorai battery LFX18L1-BS12. It worked perfectly! My battery and ECM are side by side in the battery compartment and I still used the hold down strap, which is also used to mount the main fuse. There is no difference in clearance with the side cover at all. And, I didn't even use any of the really nice padding that came with the battery to help with fitment. I didn't have to cut the ECM cover either... everything is bone stock except for the actual location of the ECM itself.

All of this happened as a result of doing a color change on my Iron from Silver Denim to Black denim. Bought a tank and rear fender from a new model (liked the newer tank emblem better too) and so I had to move the ECM. Color change is great and now I'm all set to add a springer seat when I'm ready. The rear replacement fender I picked up was Canadian, so I had to chop it to get rid of the tail light mount assembly. Thought I'd have to professionally paint after chopping... but no. The 1/4 inch of paint damage caused by the cut... was sanded... and for giggles hit with Rustoleum flat black just to see if I could match it. I taped it off... that didn't work. Paint matched perfect, but tape left a nasty line. Sanded it again... then moved my tape way back... and kind of painted then faded a spray between. You can't tell at all. It's a perfect match!

Old 05-06-2014, 11:46 AM
TroyGT
6th Gear

I forgot to mention... the Shorai battery cost me $160 off of Amazon and it has 270 cold cranking amps. It is lithium, so a different charger will be needed. But, this battery type doesn't need a battery tender... so, the fact that it is lithium only comes into play if I ever need to charge it outright. The weight savings are ridiculous. No core recoup on this purchase.. so my old battery will probably go in my lawn mower. Battery life is like up to 7 years or something stupid like that. Read that some early buyers didn't like the battery's connectors, cheap or something. Mine were not that way at all, very heavy and sturdy, so the company may have fixed that issue sometime back.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:09 AM
namessuck
Stage I

Troy The CCA is pretty low on that one compared to recommended battery. You arent having any problems?