Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing fender on Softail Deluxe

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 11:20 AM
89jab
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing fender on Softail Deluxe

Hello

I'm thinking about changing the front fender on my 2008 Softail Deluxe to the Fat Boy fender because I like the cleaner look of it. But I would probably leave my Deluxe rear fender on because I like how the signal lights mount on the fender and I love the tombstone taillight.

So I could have the existing rear fender trimmed or have the holes from the chrome trim piece filled. Would it look okay to have the front Fatboy Fender with the existing shape and size of the Deluxe fender (minus the chrome piece)? Or will it be disporportionate and the fender should be shortened? What are peoples thoughts or recommendations? Any pictures from someone who has done this?

Thanks

Old 04-26-2011, 12:40 PM
thelawnmowerman
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Never heard of anyone wanting to swap out the fender on a Deluxe before, for me the front fender goes with the old school look.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:00 PM
kozy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The Fatboy front fender is one of the main reasons I went with the Deluxe over fatboy.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:54 PM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

Isn't the fatboy rear, deluxe rear and Heritage rear fender all the same length and cut.... I thought only the tailights and directionals were different..

Old 04-27-2011, 04:46 AM
Phantomryder
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depending on what kind of look you want to achieve, the Fatboy fender gives the bike a more sportier look in my opinion. I know a few Road King riders that change out their front fender for that style. I like the ole skool look myself so the fat fender works for me. I would not cut the fender, better to purchase one from ebay. If you decide to change out the fender give me a heads up, I'm looking for a Deluxe fender for my Heritage. Want to eliminate the front fender light on my ride and want to add the teardrop shape fender light instead. Selling it could offset the expense of purchasing the Fatboy fender.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:10 PM
RNG
Stage I
Default Fatboy front fender

I am using a fatboy front fender now until I get some body work done on the stock deluxe fender. I am willing to trade my new fatboy fender for a stock deluxe fender. My ride is a 2006.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:37 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I am curious as well, any one have any pics? I am going another route, all new tins cause I want to paint but I don't want to use/ruin my stock tins. I have a tank so far, looking for fenders. I think a street sweaper type fender on the rear, still up in the air on what I am going to use up front. I would love to see some pics if and when you are ever done with what you want to do. I'm in no rush, I'm at least a year away from paint. I do much prefer the deluxe fenders over the heritage fenders.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:41 AM
Autzenduck
1st Gear
Default To each his own

I love the old Skool look of the deluxe front - it's what sold me on the FSTLN over the fatty.

But I would like to change the rear tire and widen the fender somehow. Is there a conversion kit or simple way to widen the rear tire while keeping the old skool fender look? I think a fat rear whitewall with the classic fender and tombstone would look sweet.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:11 AM
planoattorney
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, I have a different problem but similar question: Any one had the FatBoy chrome Fender trim put on a Softail Deluxe fender. Per the H-D catalog online, the trim fits 90-06 FatBoys and the newer Softail Deluxe. See [URL="http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/eagle-wing-fender-trim-pa-04-5928690--1"]

If you did this, did you have those holes from the cheap plastic trim welded up? I used a little double stick tape, knew trim looks really good, but it does not quite fit the same, since the deluxe has a deep fender and then those holes have to go.

Some dumbass (the one typing here) backed my brand new bike into my car, so both headed the body shop (fender today) and I have to decide if I want to commit to that new FatBoy trim or not - the longer I take to decide, the longer the fender remains at the body shop. Pics would be great if you have them.