Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuse Keeps Blowing

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 12:23 PM
dbird08
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuse Keeps Blowing

I have a 2008 fxcwc. Everytime i use the turn signals the dang fuse blows. The horn, turn signals, and license plate light are all tied into this fuse. Any ideas anyone

Old 06-12-2011, 12:30 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like you have a hot wire grounding out somewhere. Now just too trace all of the wires going to everything on that circuit until you find the bad spot.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:33 PM
dbird08
Intermediate

yeh thats what i figured. I was just hoping there would be some other answer lol.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:36 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry man, no easy answer when it comes too wiring problems. Just have too trace it down.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:51 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

does it happen with just one side or both ? i don't have access to a wiring schematic but from my experience, if its just one side then you only need to check the related wiring and bulb on the affected side. rare but it happens, a bad bulb can cause a fuse to pop when the filament in the bulb breaks and it contacts the base of the bulb.. . if it blows the fuse on both sides, you should only have to check the wiring from the fuse up to the turn module. everything going to the switches from the module out should be specific to each side and should be ok.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:30 PM
dbird08
Intermediate

now that i think about it as weird as it seems i only made left turns last night. Ill try a new fuse with the right side and see what happens. Also my turn signals stay on as the running lights so i dont think it would be the bulb. unles they are double filament bulbs but being a turn signal i dont believe they are. Thanks for the direction.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:42 PM
cpiad
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ghostrider69
Sounds like you have a hot wire grounding out somewhere. Now just too trace all of the wires going to everything on that circuit until you find the bad spot.
+1 ....but....some people have either to low rating fuse or...too high wattage aftermarket bulb or a monster horn. I have an airhorn on its own circuit.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:33 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

so what did you find dbird ?

Old 06-13-2011, 06:47 PM
Just Don
Cruiser

Somewhat related...but not. I flipped on my high beams one morning on the way to work and blew the fuse. It turned out that the insulation wore off the wire going into the headlight housing. It only tripped on high beam. Fixed that with a length of fuel line slipped over it.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:25 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dbird08
I have a 2008 fxcwc. Everytime i use the turn signals the dang fuse blows. The horn, turn signals, and license plate light are all tied into this fuse. Any ideas anyone
happened to me once when i used my horn... was on the big road and found a dealer- they diagnosed mine as an unwrapped wire that caused a short in the horn. when i hit the horn it blew the fuse and i had no horn, no turn signals and no rear lights. i had replaced the horn a few months prior and i guess they didnt do a good install.

have you done any mods that involve electrical to your bike lately?

Quick Reply: Fuse Keeps Blowing