Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Seat, Backrest, and Passenger Seat for Heritage/Tall Rider?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 07:36 PM
Biggerfoot
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best Seat, Backrest, and Passenger Seat for Heritage/Tall Rider?

I am 6'4" and I have a 2006 Heritage. With floorboard extensions and the stock seat, I am at a pretty comfortable riding position. However, I could use a bit more comfort for longer trips and a backrest would be nice.

On my Springer, I have tried everything but a Mustang seat and know I did not like the Corbins. However, I have read that the Mustang seat may move me up some.

Is there a seat, backrest, passenger seat combo for tall folks I should look at? I like the looks of the Mustang.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:18 PM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggerfoot
I am 6'4" and I have a 2006 Heritage. With floorboard extensions and the stock seat, I am at a pretty comfortable riding position. However, I could use a bit more comfort for longer trips and a backrest would be nice.

On my Springer, I have tried everything but a Mustang seat and know I did not like the Corbins. However, I have read that the Mustang seat may move me up some.

Is there a seat, backrest, passenger seat combo for tall folks I should look at? I like the looks of the Mustang.
Don't laugh but the best thing I've found for really long rides......Air Hawk. If I'm on a trip knockin 500-600 miles a day I don't care what kind of seat you have nothing competes with an Air Hawk. They look like something a NY cabby would use but they are comfortable.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:16 AM
Biggerfoot
Tourer

Thanks...actually, I have looked at those for a few times. On one of my old bobbers, I had a pad that worked as a backup passenger seat.

If a seat moves you higher up and not lower, does that equate more legroom? I noticed people will state their seat moved them up. Of course, if moved forward, I know that is not good for legroom.

On my springer, I had a nice gel solo seat with forward controls and it was like sitting in a recliner...very nice. My Heritage sits a little different due to the bars, etc but is also comfortable but I could use the backrest support and any more legroom would be nice for long trips.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:30 AM
bloomington g
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forget the Mustang. It will move you closer to the bars.

I have a Saddlemen Explorer that works for me. LePera makes a seat called Maverick Daddy Long Legs that I have not tried but is supposed to move you down and back.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:10 PM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.meancitycycles.com/ Try this place. I've read on this forum that a lot of people are having success with them. I haven't used them myself so I can't give you my opinion. I'm vertically challenged so I need all the reach that I can get. I ride a mustang with driver backrest on an '08 Heritaage Classic with the passenger pillion. Best seat in my humble opinion.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:27 PM
punisher660
Tourer

I guess it all depends on where your height is - I'm 6'3 on a Heritage and am totally fine with the stock setup.

When the old lady is with me, I have a great set of ***** to use as a backrest, and if she isn't, I turn my T-bags around on put them on the passenger seat. If I don't have T-bags, is usually because its a short enough to not need luggage, so its not long enough to bother my back.

Legs on the other hand are a different story - I have multiple positions I rest my feet - sometimes over the highway bars, sometimes hook my heel over the highway pegs, floorboards, etc - keeping them moving around keeps them from aching.

Taller bars helped too - I still have the stockers, but I rolled them as far forward as I could which raised the height several inches. Apes are in the future, but so far the multiple footrest positions have helped the most for comfort.

just my $.02

Old 02-14-2012, 01:08 PM
Joker_Hal
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will agree with what was said earlier. The mustang seat will move you closer to the bars. I have one, but since I'm only 5-6, it works well for me.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:50 PM
Jedx66
Advanced

Personally I find the stock seat very comfortable but also wanted a back rest for those longer rides.

I bought the HD signature series seat and was the worse seat I've owned. Can't ride more than a few hours without the tailbone telling me the seat is bad. Bought the airhawk hoping that would make the difference and while it helped it just prolonged the point at which the misery began.

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THE HD SIG SEAT.

I ended up buying the mustang seat with drivers back at the end of last season and was able to put a few long days in the saddle before winterizing the bike. Excellent seat and well worth the dollars. Tailbone pain was no longer an issue and didn't need the airhawk. Yes it will move you up a bit but you can pick up some adjustable highway pegs and pick up the difference there.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:24 PM
weezer_nd
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

try c&c seats, checkout the website, but order through drvtwin.

i have the sport tour deluxe, which is great by itself, i also bought a set of risers off from a deluxe from a member here and the comfort is awesome.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:17 AM
Biggerfoot
Tourer

Thanks for the help.

I did hear back from Mustang today and they stated that the wide seat w/backrest will move me up one inch. An inch does not sound like much but after sitting on the Heritage and moving up, it does make some difference.

Mustang stated they do not make a seat what will move the rider back any.

Thanks about the heads up on HD seat...was really looking at that one too.

Last edited by Biggerfoot; 02-16-2012 at 02:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Best Seat, Backrest, and Passenger Seat for Heritage/Tall Rider?