This is a followup post to my "Blackline Bar Swapout" and "Working on a Blackline" posts.
If you are a Blackline owner, you'll know and agree with me that the bars and front end of this bike are unique and difficult to customize. I have been working on this project a while and it's starting to take shape. Moving my stock turn signals off of my bars really cleaned up the appearance of my front end, and set the design of my Hardtail Choppers "Dukes" bars off. This was a really easy and inexpensive upgrade that gave me big satisfaction when I was finished. The improvement was massive as you can see in the before and after pictures below.
I should have replaced the bars and relocated the turn signals all at the same time...but am glad I waited, as I did some research and discovered a wiring kit that is absolutely awesome. There is a company called Guerrilla Cables www.guerrillacables.com
that makes a plug and play system for the newer softail models. The reason this wiring kit is so cool, is that the newer model softails come with a vacant auxiliary lighting plug underneath the tank. You simply cut the turn signal wires at the switch housing, seal them off. Then solder the provided wire to length, crimp and connect the wires into the factory male end of the plug...and that's about it.
What you don't have to do is fish the wire down through your bars...and that's the brilliant design of this kit. After the connections have been made, you hook your battery back up, turn the ignition on and let your hazard lights run for 10-15 blinks. Not sure how this works, but by doing that it sends a signal to the bike that there are no longer any lights connected to the switch housing....and it re-learns the lights at their new location in the auxiliary plug. Give the picture a look...it's a really cool deal.
I forgot to mention that I did not have to fully remove the tank, but did have to slide it back a couple inches to expose the plug (on the riders right side) The installation was pretty easy and straightforward and took me a little under 4 hours total, but I'm kind meticulous. I'm not a great solderer either, so its an upgrade that anybody could do.
Super happy with the finished result. Have a look at the pics, and I'm sure you'll agree. Thanks for reading.