Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st time Installing apes - need some pointers- please chime in

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 11:46 AM
Eagle240
Tourer
Received 120 Likes on 24 Posts
Default 1st time Installing apes - need some pointers- please chime in

My apes, risers, wires, and new cables are being delivered on wednesday.. I am more excited than a 7 year old that just found out she is gong to Disney Worldfor the first time.

Here is what I have already:
-Bars
-patience
- all electrical wiring
-new brake/clutch cables
-tools
- skill to do it

what else do I need?

I am assuming i will have to remove trans cover, wili need more fluid? new gaskets?what are some incidentals I may need to buy just in case..??

I will be pulling exhaustback off to access trans cover..

Any pointers or additional stuff I may not be thinking of, please someone with experience chime in, this will be my first handlebar installation and want t make sure i have all my bases covered before i tear her apart to avoid 25 trips to the parts/HD store...

Thanks!

Old 09-10-2012, 11:53 AM
Rok n Roll
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What size apes are you going with?

Old 09-10-2012, 12:00 PM
FXBadass
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there, you are undertaking a 2 day project, just so you know. I suggest that you read ghoticov's recent posts before you undertake this project as there is a lot of info already posted on the subject. Additional pointers would be to depressurize your fuel system prior to removing the shrader connector on your fuel supply line on the tank, have dot4 brake fluid (read your cover to be sure), and have a new clutch release cover gasket on hand. Do you have new throttle/idle cables also? What bars did you choose, etc. I also suggest shimming your front brake lever prior to removing it to prevent braking the tip off of it. Do a search here for each step, like "tank removal", "cluch cable", etc, as all the info you need is already posted. Good luck with your project, and if you have specific questions, someone will be glad to help you.

Last edited by FXBadass; 09-10-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:17 PM
yzergod
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Congrats! I just put mine on a week ago. Feel free to pm me with any questions! Are you using new wires or the Namz extensions? Pulling the plugs off the end of the wires was the biggest hassle and took me 3x the time I thought it would. I just sat in front of the tv and worked on them. But, your 2012 is plug & play so easy peasy there. Pull the wires through the bars before putting the extensions on for sure, if you are running them through the bars. Don't forget an o-ring for the clutch cable if you don't have one with the cables and I'd go ahead and buy a new gasket for the brake fluid reservoir also (mine has leaked fluid non-stop since putting the new brake line on). Don't want brake fluid dripping onto your paint! Also, make sure your risers fit the bar. I had to overnight new risers because the Heritage riser top clamp is 5 1/4" and my apes were 5" wide were they step down to the 1" mounting section! Also, I'd suggest replacing the rubber riser bushings to the poly ones. HD wanted $40 for theirs, they also had a set from Drag Specialties for $30, and I bought mine from J&P Cycle for $15. The J&P ones were identical to the Drag Specialties. The polyurethane bushings really help with vibrations, which you'll definately notice at 75 by how much your mirrors vibrate. I also had to pull my pipes to get the clutch cable out, so a pair of the Screaming Eagle pipe gaskets at $7 for the pair as well if you need to pull your pipes. I was able to park my bike on a couple of pavers and lean it over enough on it's jiffy stand to not lose any fluid. You can see them under my front tire in the first picture. I put saran wrap over the bottom part of the frame to prevent any oil from getting all over it (I was out of tin foil) and you can see it in the second picture. I gravity bled the front brake and then (from a tip on here) zip tied the brake lever to the bar overnight, tapped the line in the morning with a rubber hammer in up to the reservoir to get any remaining bubbles out, then sealed the top cap. Worked fantastically!! Hope any of this is of help!

Here's a couple of pictures of how my bike looked during the week...

Last edited by yzergod; 09-10-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:20 PM
Eagle240
Tourer

16" black apes from hcc, and I have all of the cables/wires (clutch, brakes,electronics etc) coming, supposedly the electrical is plug-n-play no splicing or soldering needed.

there is no doubt on my mechanical ability, and I really think it is about a 3-4 hour job..

Fro what I have gathered I will aso need

-brake fluid
- clutch release cover gasket
- trans fluid?? (not sure if some will comeout hen i remove cover?)

I have no idea about the comment on removing brake lever, Iwsa planning on removing entire assy from bars and re-installing on new bars, ..what is meant with the tip breaking off?

Thanks all,

Old 09-10-2012, 04:53 PM
Rok n Roll
Cruiser

Do you have new throttle/idle cables? I see you mentioned clutch and brake cables but not the others. If you are going with 16" bars i am pretty sure you will have to replace all your cables. As for a 3 to 4 hour job, i don't think that is possible. Its not hard but if this is your first time it will take a good day, maybe more if you do it right. Trust me i know, i just put 17" Carlini's on mine and it was my first time.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Eagle240
Tourer

Originally Posted by Rok n Roll
Do you have new throttle/idle cables? I see you mentioned clutch and brake cables but not the others. If you are going with 16" bars i am pretty sure you will have to replace all your cables. As for a 3 to 4 hour job, i don't think that is possible. Its not hard but if this is your first time it will take a good day, maybe more if you do it right. Trust me i know, i just put 17" Carlini's on mine and it was my first time.

yes i have all the cables, throtte,clutch, idle, every physialpart i will need except ....

trans clutch cover gasket, trans fluid, brake fluid, etc... incidental stuff... hoping for some tips on wht stuff I should have on the side just to make surei have it.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:58 PM
yzergod
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Eagle240
I have no idea about the comment on removing brake lever, Iwsa planning on removing entire assy from bars and re-installing on new bars, ..what is meant with the tip breaking off?
You'll see when you pull the assembly's off the bars. The brake light switch goes into the back of the brake lever in a "tab a into slot b" configuration. I just wedged an Allen wrench into the lever to keep it pulled back.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:00 PM
Rok n Roll
Cruiser

You will a good pair of snap ring pliers for your clutch cable, and yes get a new rubber seal for your brake fluid reservoir. Mine has also leaked since i put my apes on.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:08 PM
Hicksjay
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Second the snap ring pliers, delayed me overnight. Also, I needed DOT 5 brake fluid? nNot sure of you have a small hose to bleed the brakes but it can get messy without. I hooked mine up to a 30 cc syringe keep it nicer, and could save the fluid then too. Be ready with some soapy water to clean up any spills.

Quick Reply: 1st time Installing apes - need some pointers- please chime in