Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting day. Little help please

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 08:31 PM
rancid13
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interesting day. Little help please

Took a ride today, about a 30 mile round trip. To start, I haven't done anything to my bike in a while. So I don't know what could cause this. On the highway, cruising about 65.. get up to around 85 and let off the gas- just cruising... I hear an unfamiliar noise. Hard to describe, something like when you used to put playing cards in your bicycle spokes as a kid. Only you're going 80 and it sounds more like ticking than a paper card. Very fast, repetitive... when i get below 70 mph it stops, I can't hear it any more. To test it, I get back above 70, to 75, to 80 it's doing it. I slow down, and pretty much right below 70 I can't hear it any more. I did this a couple times and it all happened the same each time. That's the first thing.

On the ride home, sun is going down, my instrument cluster goes out. speedometer sticks at 67 mph... ok.. headlight is on, taillight is on. About 5 minutes later, head and tail light go out. Rode the rest of the way home in the dark. Get back to the garage, check the fuses. "lights" fuse is blown, "gauges" fuse is blown. I replace them both, everything works. Bike cranks, runs(in neutral on idle). I cut it off and call it a night. What's the deal?

I know this is a lot, and these 2 different issues are not likely related to one another, but some of you guys work wonders with your knowledge about mechanical issues so I'm hoping someone can give me some insight. Thanks in advance

Old 03-30-2013, 09:44 PM
Ash16
Outstanding HDF Member

My buddy was having strange problems like that and it ended up being his back tire rubbing on the wires under his fender and causing a short.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:48 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Start checking for loose wires and/or bad grounds. Fuses do not just blow. Something happened to cause to much power or resistance in that wire. Start with the battery cables.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:58 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

You might want to get an exorcist too!

Old 03-30-2013, 10:03 PM
rockerz
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check wiring for a tire/ wire rub thru causing a short to ground

Last edited by rockerz; 03-30-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:20 PM
rancid13
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
You might want to get an exorcist too!
Lol... no kidding.

And yeah, I was assuming some type of wiring issue. I'll have to wait til tomorrow to check. As for the noise I was hearing on the highway. It sounded like it was coming from the front, motor area. Hard to pin point on the highway at 70 though. Anyone have any ideas? Like a very VERY fast ticking noise. But only at the speeds I mentioned. Thanks again for everyone's help

Old 03-30-2013, 11:17 PM
KrakkyDoo
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

If you had the bike in storage you may have had a few visitors over the winter. Mice love to chew on wires.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:38 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts

The first thing was your guardian angels knees knocking in fear. Nice looking bike but 85 mph on your mod? That was him pulling things to slow you down.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:26 AM
Das_Fatboy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rockerz
Check wiring for a tire/ wire rub thru causing a short to ground
^^^^ This would be my guess also

Old 03-31-2013, 07:26 AM
08Fatty
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check for an exhaust leak at the heads. Mine I could only hear it when I let off the throttle. After a little riding you can see the black build around the exhaust port. You either had some critter chewing on your wires or pinch a few putting it back together. Sometimes it may not show up right away, but after a little vibration it starts wearing down the insulation.

Quick Reply: Interesting day. Little help please