Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting day. Little help please

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 05:39 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,574 Likes on 3,821 Posts

Originally Posted by rancid13
I didn't' know 85mph was considered "guardian angel worthy". Not sure what you mean. It's a lowered bike, no crazy mods to speak of... again, didn't know that was that wild to be going 85. Maybe you can help me understand. Not trying to be an *** by the way, actually just wondering. Thanks
Just my opinion (I was trying not to be one either) but I have been broken enough and so old that I know the next big one will probably make me trike ready. However, the apes and no fender would scare me at 75. Also, not sure why but my stock 04 owners manual says not to exceed 90 and with two up it's 80. I am not sure if that was for tire rating or just stability in 04 Softails.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:53 PM
spydyr
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Got a theory..... either voltage regulator or stator causing too much voltage to go through the circuitry, causing 2 circuits to blow (luckily not more). The ticking could surely be the stator, especially if it's pushing out unregulated voltage.

If you have a voltmeter, test the voltage going to those circuits, especially at high RPM. If it goes way too high, then that's your culprit. If it is that, though, be careful that you don't blow more circuits doing tests.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:03 PM
threadstopper
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rancid13
I haven't changed anything at all, in a while. That's what is making me think something is going wrong. Not to derail my own thread, but I am doing the Screamin Eagle high flow oil pump/hydraulic cam chain tensioner upgrade next weekend. I've been paranoid about the old style spring tensioners breaking apart and going into the motor like others have talked about. This was the first thing that came to mind when I heard the noise, but it wasn't like others described. It was a constant, repetitive ticking that I could only hear above 70... It wasn't loud either, not like something was about to blow up or anything... just a slight fast ticking. I will look into the lifter sticking issue and compensator sprocket. thanks for the reply.
me thinks you've answered your own question on the noise.

if you happen to see this on your oil filter media and this inside your camchest you've found your answer. might not be a bad idea to change your inner bearings while your in there, put in some B148's torrington bearings.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:47 AM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Although checking the Cam Chain Tensioner is always a good idea, they are known to be 'quiet' killers and not electrically related.
The Stator theory is good, but check to see if you get the same symptoms on lower speed higher gear (instead of going 80 on 5th, go maybe 65 or 70 on 4th) , then you get engine cranking same RPM and if that happens then the theory is a good guess.

I once had this unexplained rattle at certain speed (can't remember it now) and the culprit was a toolbag attached to bottom of my front down tubes, that was half closed and the leather flapped , yep I am that dumb.

The fuse wiring is probably a good candidate for wire rubbing, with a lowered bike like yours, that is also a good guess

I am subscribing to this thread. would like to find out what you find in the end, my shotguns are being installed and I think I will be just as cool and maybe in as much trouble as you are now

Old 04-01-2013, 03:56 AM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Just my opinion (I was trying not to be one either) but I have been broken enough and so old that I know the next big one will probably make me trike ready. However, the apes and no fender would scare me at 75. Also, not sure why but my stock 04 owners manual says not to exceed 90 and with two up it's 80. I am not sure if that was for tire rating or just stability in 04 Softails.
First let me say I agree with ripsaw , further more, I always say, your bike is pretty (it is) and you should be slow enough to be noticed, let the ugly jap bikes go fast, and yes nobody wants to see them

Warning, the rest is an injured old man rant.
<start of safety rant>.
I did race and ride sport bikes for years, did some dirt riding too, Softails suspension , weight compared to braking powers is a very dangerous combination, I never got seriously injured on a sport bike, my biggest injury that put me 1 year in bed with 20% chance of ever walking was on my 700 pound Gorilla softail.

I am always shocked at the Engine upgrades people do without paying attention to 'breaking', since I got my bike I am concerned with three things
1 - Make it noticeable (loud horns (had air, now two electerical), LED Lights, reflective wear).
2 - Make it stop faster (Sport bike front brakes kit, stronger rear brakes, updated suspension front and back , making the bike as light as possible with as much alloy parts as possible).
3 - Make it handle better through better tire traction (Night Dragon proved to be the best compound for black wall and ME880 for WWW).

I wish there is a way I can add tubeless tires and ABS to my bike, but doing so will cost as much as buying a new one maybe.

<end of safety rant>.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:18 AM
rancid13
Cruiser

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
You're probably right, and honestly I normally am not hot-rodding around. I think I actually got up to 85 without realizing it... Probably a case of nice weather and open highway mixed with haven't ridden in a while. Maybe I got excited.

Thanks for the advice

Last edited by rancid13; 04-01-2013 at 07:32 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:26 AM
rancid13
Cruiser

Originally Posted by klf33
Although checking the Cam Chain Tensioner is always a good idea, they are known to be 'quiet' killers and not electrically related.
The Stator theory is good, but check to see if you get the same symptoms on lower speed higher gear (instead of going 80 on 5th, go maybe 65 or 70 on 4th) , then you get engine cranking same RPM and if that happens then the theory is a good guess.

I once had this unexplained rattle at certain speed (can't remember it now) and the culprit was a toolbag attached to bottom of my front down tubes, that was half closed and the leather flapped , yep I am that dumb.

The fuse wiring is probably a good candidate for wire rubbing, with a lowered bike like yours, that is also a good guess

I am subscribing to this thread. would like to find out what you find in the end, my shotguns are being installed and I think I will be just as cool and maybe in as much trouble as you are now
Yeah I didn't think the 2 issues were related to each other. I'll see if it's the tensioners this weekend and check the wiring too. I won't be trying your "stator test" til after I've replaced the tensioners with the upgraded ones, as I almost SH** my pants when the thought came into my head about the tensioners possibly being the problem. I won't be test running it 'til I've gotten that done! Thanks for the replies

Old 04-01-2013, 07:30 AM
rancid13
Cruiser

Originally Posted by spydyr
Got a theory..... either voltage regulator or stator causing too much voltage to go through the circuitry, causing 2 circuits to blow (luckily not more). The ticking could surely be the stator, especially if it's pushing out unregulated voltage.

If you have a voltmeter, test the voltage going to those circuits, especially at high RPM. If it goes way too high, then that's your culprit. If it is that, though, be careful that you don't blow more circuits doing tests.
I will check those, thank you.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:37 AM
rancid13
Cruiser

Originally Posted by threadstopper
me thinks you've answered your own question on the noise.

if you happen to see this on your oil filter media and this inside your camchest you've found your answer. might not be a bad idea to change your inner bearings while your in there, put in some B148's torrington bearings.

I hope not, but we will see. And yeah I've got the Torrington bearings ready to install too. Thanks.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:06 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,749 Likes on 1,133 Posts

I had the exact same problem, the ticking part anyway, here's the thread

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...ensioners.html

I thought it was fixed, but it's returned - briefly - a couple times.

Quick Reply: Interesting day. Little help please