Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting day. Little help please

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 08:29 AM
rancid13
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tmac00333
I had the exact same problem, the ticking part anyway, here's the thread

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...ensioners.html

I thought it was fixed, but it's returned - briefly - a couple times.

Ok, I am leaning towards that... The bike has 49k miles on it, I bought it with 35k. I have no clue if the original owner replaced the tensioners or not. Probably not. Can someone please let me know exactly what is needed to do this job?(Parts wise). On HD site, The SE hydraulic tensioner/oil pump upgrade kit comes with that, cam support plate, chain, etc... I have the Torrington B-148's ready to install. I've got the cam cover gasket. Do I need to replace the pushrods to adjustable ones? How about outer cam bearings? On the description it says this is also needed: Installation requires separate purchase of Spacer Kit P/N 25285-08, Cam Service Kit P/N 17045-99D and Drive Gear Retention Kit P/N 25533-99A.
Are these neccessary or are they trying to squeeze more $$ out of you? I appreciate all the help so far.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:06 PM
threadstopper
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rancid13
Ok, I am leaning towards that... The bike has 49k miles on it, I bought it with 35k. I have no clue if the original owner replaced the tensioners or not. Probably not. Can someone please let me know exactly what is needed to do this job?(Parts wise). On HD site, The SE hydraulic tensioner/oil pump upgrade kit comes with that, cam support plate, chain, etc... I have the Torrington B-148's ready to install. I've got the cam cover gasket. Do I need to replace the pushrods to adjustable ones? How about outer cam bearings? On the description it says this is also needed: Installation requires separate purchase of Spacer Kit P/N 25285-08, Cam Service Kit P/N 17045-99D and Drive Gear Retention Kit P/N 25533-99A.
Are these neccessary or are they trying to squeeze more $$ out of you? I appreciate all the help so far.
you will need something to remove and reinstall the bearings. as for pushrods you have two options reuse your old parts. this means gas tank removal, remove the rocker covers, rocker arms and gaskets pull old pushrods out that way, or adjustable where you just take some bolt cutters and cut the old ones and remove them out through the pushrod covers. no need for outer cam bearings the new camplate uses native material for bearing surfaces. spacer kit is required (your gears need to line up). i don't know about the other 2 items. everything about these bikes is meant to squeeze more $$ out of me.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:18 PM
rancid13
Cruiser

Thanks Threadstopper. My buddy has the bearing pullers. I'll get the adjustable pushrods, not messing with the top end. I'll get the spacer kit. Anyone else know about those other 2 items? Also,I've read that it's better to get a front roller chain as well, instead of re-using the original one(which the SE kit recommends). Where can I buy just that front roller chain? I know people talk about Herko's kit and others, but I don't need a whole kit as I already have SE kit, cam cover gasket, and inner bearings. Damn, I may as well put cams in if I'm doing all this huh? I have been looking at Andrews 21's for a while. I didn't expect to be doing any of this work, so I'm thinking I should spend a couple hundred more and get the cams too. Now about that-I will need to get the conversion cams correct? I think it's Andrews 21N? That requires an install kit too right? Thanks again for everyones replies, i know I'm going in 10 directions with this thread, but I'd appreciate feedback as I want to get this done ASAP

Last edited by rancid13; 04-01-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:22 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Be careful of that SE hydro kit. It replaces the outer chain with a roller type, but reuses the inner link chain. There have been threads on here with guys burning through the inner hydro shoe at 20k. All depends on how smooth your link chains are to begin with. If you've got high miles and the shoes are in decent shape, you might get away with reusing the inner chain for awhile. There are other upgrade kits out there, but they include cams as the link chain cams won't work with the roller type chains.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:29 PM
rancid13
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jreichart
Be careful of that SE hydro kit. It replaces the outer chain with a roller type, but reuses the inner link chain. There have been threads on here with guys burning through the inner hydro shoe at 20k. All depends on how smooth your link chains are to begin with. If you've got high miles and the shoes are in decent shape, you might get away with reusing the inner chain for awhile. There are other upgrade kits out there, but they include cams as the link chain cams won't work with the roller type chains.
JReichart I think we were typing at the same time lol. in regards to my post above yours... Any input on any of those questions?

Old 04-01-2013, 06:47 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm a slow typer.

You're probably two posts ahead of me again!

Haven't done the swap myself yet. It's on the list for probably next winter, but I'm thinking I'll just swap out the stock tensioners for a new set. I had the cover off last winter to check them and they looked damn good for almost 50k.

Plus, I'm real happy with the current cams and headwork combo. Maybe when I go big bore I'll pull the trigger on the cam upgrade. Good luck, sorry I couldn't help more. Bike looks badass though! Hope all the issues get sorted out. I've got my own little idle control gremlins I'm trying to work out before it gets warm. Sucks!

Old 04-01-2013, 07:33 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,867 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
The first thing was your guardian angels knees knocking in fear. Nice looking bike but 85 mph on your mod? That was him pulling things to slow you down.
Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Just my opinion (I was trying not to be one either) but I have been broken enough and so old that I know the next big one will probably make me trike ready. However, the apes and no fender would scare me at 75. Also, not sure why but my stock 04 owners manual says not to exceed 90 and with two up it's 80. I am not sure if that was for tire rating or just stability in 04 Softails.
How's this for you. I'd be the one in the right lane doing 75.

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-a...w=1440&bih=772

Pretty soon, us Texans will be driving on the Southern Autobahn

Old 04-01-2013, 08:32 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,788 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Yes, you will need the other two pieces. I did not get the full conversion, so if you go with Andrews, make sure the roller chain comes with them or H-D sells it separately. I'm not sure about that. If you're leaving the engine otherwise stock, the 21 or 26 would be good choices.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:56 PM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,055 Likes on 631 Posts

Just Checked mine at 30 thow , a month ago they Looked Good, gunna Check-Um in another 10 . going with the 21N also when I do Cams

Old 04-02-2013, 07:39 AM
rancid13
Cruiser

Originally Posted by QC
Yes, you will need the other two pieces. I did not get the full conversion, so if you go with Andrews, make sure the roller chain comes with them or H-D sells it separately. I'm not sure about that. If you're leaving the engine otherwise stock, the 21 or 26 would be good choices.
Thanks QC, I see you've done the swap yourself. That's the advice I was looking for. I'll go ahead and pick up all 3 "extras" they say are needed with the kit then. As for the roller chain, I'm trying to find out where I can just by a roller chain seperate, to replace the stock silent chain that they say to re-use because I don't want to worry about that one hydro tensioner wearing too fast from the old chain. And yes, I plan on leaving the engine stock other than the cam upgrade, which is why I'm leaning toward the 21.

Quick Reply: Interesting day. Little help please