Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First problem on my Breakout

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 04:03 PM
HRCH
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First problem on my Breakout (updated with video)

I had about 1K miles on my Breakout and started to hear an awful grinding noise whenever I turned the ignition switch on. The grinding noise is so loud that it feels like something is going to break. The fuel pump on my Breakout used to make a high pitch sound when it was priming. The bike runs fine though. I drove it around for a few minutes but I can't hear the pump over the running engine. Once I got home, I turned the switch on, and the fuel pump was grinding. Sounds like she's sick. I'm impatient because the weather was finally nice so my wife and I went on a 200 mile run. After about 2 hours or so of riding, turn the ignition on and the fuel pump sounded fine. Normal priming noise. Thought all was ok. I even stopped a couple of times on our ride just to check for any pump noise and all was still ok. I got home, shut the engine off. I let the bike sit for a couple of hours, and still the pump was quiet. However, this morning after the bike sat overnight in my garage, I turned the ignition switch back on, and wow, the fuel pump is grinding away. That sux. It's kinda weird how the fuel pump primes fine when the engine is hot and its so awful once the bike gets cold. I know what's going to happen when I take it to the dealer. I'm going to ride the bike there and the fuel pump is not going to make any unusual noise because the bike will be hot. Get it home, sit over night and crap, it will sound awful again. Is this bike going to break on me? Looks like I will have to take it to the dealer and leave it there overnight so they can try it in the morning. Oh, the noise in positively in the gas tank because I placed my hand under the tank, and that's where the noise is coming from. Fuel tank level doesn't seem to have an affect on it. The pump made that grinding noise either way and anytime the bike sat around for a while, like over night. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

thanks

Last edited by HRCH; 06-10-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:09 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

sounds like a bad pump to me. take it up the dealer and be prepared to leave it over night if you can't get it to act up warm.

also be prepared for the ol " they all do that" line..

Old 05-28-2013, 05:35 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you can use your phone to video the sound when you turn it on. Then the service department at least under stands the problem. You may have to leave it overnight, but the mechanic will know what you are talking about.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:12 PM
ia2189
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on recording audio on your phone. I had an issue with my furnace over winter where it would make odd noises at times but never when repairman was around. Recorded on my phone and he knew right away what the issue was when I played it. Replaced some parts and noise hasn't returned.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:22 PM
HRCH
Cruiser

I can use my phone to record the noise from the pump. I just didn't want to be told "no problem found". The bike needs to be cold in order to verify the problem. I know the dealer will not have the part in stock so I will be out of my bike for about a week or more. I wish my truck was big enough to fit my Breakout I would just take it there so the dealer could easily say " yup, you need a new fuel pump". Order the part, take my bike home and ride it in when the part comes in.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:23 PM
ia2189
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Repairs during riding season are a bitch for sure. Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:04 AM
crawlgsx
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bah that sucks, bad luck. Definitely get her back in for repair now before you get stranded though

Old 05-29-2013, 08:15 AM
CanuckWhiskey14
Tourer

I recently just had the same issue i think ... I went to the run position and instead of the nice soft sound of the fuel pump it was a very loud noise ... I tried it again and it did it as well .. after a short run time it was fine and it has not done it since ??? I only have 344km on her

Old 05-29-2013, 08:21 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by crawlgsx
Bah that sucks, bad luck. Definitely get her back in for repair now before you get stranded though
Recording the sound is genius. Make a appointment soon as it does get very hectic in there once the riding season is under way.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:39 PM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HRCH
I can use my phone to record the noise from the pump. I just didn't want to be told "no problem found". The bike needs to be cold in order to verify the problem. I know the dealer will not have the part in stock so I will be out of my bike for about a week or more. I wish my truck was big enough to fit my Breakout I would just take it there so the dealer could easily say " yup, you need a new fuel pump". Order the part, take my bike home and ride it in when the part comes in.
I would not do that as any other problem down the road pops up and the dealer would say that since the fuel pump was defective and you rode it anyway, after they looked at it, and they could use the fact that you rode it to deny any warranty claims even if it has nothing to do with the fuel system, just sayin.

Quick Reply: First problem on my Breakout