Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breakout front wheel 21" X 3.5" on 2008 Night Train

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 10:41 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Question Breakout front wheel 21" X 3.5" on 2008 Night Train

Will the Breakout front wheel 21" X 3.5" fit on my 2008 Night Train, or should I ask what all's needed to make it fit ?

Old 11-24-2013, 12:08 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,499 Posts

I am researching installing the Breakout front wheel on a 2005 Deuce.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...ther-model.htm

Old 11-24-2013, 09:46 AM
1004ron
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by djl
I am researching installing the Breakout front wheel on a 2005 Deuce.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...ther-model.htm
That link didn't work - "The requested page was not found." - the "l" is missing at the end.
I found the thread, and the two areas I need to confirm is the spacing to achieve the correct brake disk alignment, and it's a given that I'll need to find a fender that'll fit.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...her-model.html

Last edited by 1004ron; 11-24-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:37 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by 1004ron
I found the thread, and the two areas I need to confirm is the spacing to achieve the correct brake disk alignment, and it's a given that I'll need to find a fender that'll fit.
IIRC, the '08 Softails were fitted with 25mm wheel bearings. I have installed later front and rear wheels on earlier models and have found that using the early axle and inner spacers, mocking up the wheel with the early outer spacers to determine the what will be required to align the rotor properly between the brake pads. One can adjust that alignment with shorter/longer outer spacers as long as one doesn't shift the wheel to much one way or another from the original position between the front fork tubes; some wheels are offset.

One can also shim the rotor and/or the caliper, or both, to get the rotor/caliper alignment dead nuts on so there is no brake pad drag on the rotor.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:14 PM
montrealbob
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an 07 Softail Custom and a local builder here in Montreal got the CVO Breakout front mag to fit, obviously the fender has also been changed.

Attached Thumbnails Breakout front wheel 21" X 3.5" on 2008 Night Train-img_0838.jpg   Breakout front wheel 21" X 3.5" on 2008 Night Train-img_0784.jpg  
Old 11-25-2013, 09:38 AM
DM426
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 772 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by montrealbob
I have an 07 Softail Custom and a local builder here in Montreal got the CVO Breakout front mag to fit, obviously the fender has also been changed.
That looks hot, but do you plan to try to match the rear wheel somehow?

I wondered if the Breakout wheel would fit on the front of a Wide Glide. But even if it could, that leaves a rear that doesn't match at all. Not sure if it's even possible to get a wheel custom made that would match, and it would obviously be a pretty big project to put a rear breakout wheel on a Wide Glide. Not 100 percent sure how it would look, either.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:49 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

All Harley's 2008 and newer have 25mm bearings and axles. Your stock front fender will not work with the wider wheel/tire combo. I have not tired specific fitment with this but logic would state that it can be done with use of a different fender or by removing teh stock fender. The mounting brackets for teh stock fender on bikes that comes with a 2.15 width front wheel usually rub the sides of the wider 120 mm tire used on a 3.5" wide rim.

It seems they both come with wide glide front ends so this should not be an issue aside from the fender.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:03 AM
1004ron
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by montrealbob
That sure looks great.

Could you confirm what fender you are using?

Originally Posted by Hogpro
All Harley's 2008 and newer have 25mm bearings and axles. Your stock front fender will not work with the wider wheel/tire combo. I have not tired specific fitment with this but logic would state that it can be done with use of a different fender or by removing teh stock fender. The mounting brackets for teh stock fender on bikes that comes with a 2.15 width front wheel usually rub the sides of the wider 120 mm tire used on a 3.5" wide rim.

It seems they both come with wide glide front ends so this should not be an issue aside from the fender.
Thanks for your input.

I'm looking at buying the wheel in the attached photo, leaving it as is with regards colour.

I will go ahead with the purchase if I know that the brake disk will fit and line up with the calliper, and that there's a fender available that can just bolt on.

Attached Thumbnails Breakout front wheel 21" X 3.5" on 2008 Night Train-breakout-wheel.jpg  

Last edited by 1004ron; 11-25-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:20 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Hogpro
All Harley's 2008 and newer have 25mm bearings and axles.
I have been researching this conversion; want to install the Breakout wheel on a 2005 Deuce. What I have come up with is that converting from one wide glide front end to another should be a pretty straignt forward conversion. The twist in installing on an early model requires removing the 25mm bearings and replacing them with 3/4" bearings installed per the 2005 SM procedure using the early inner/outer spacers and axle. What I am not sure about is whether or not the 25mm bearing bosses are deep enough to allow the wider 3/4" bearings to be pressed in far enough so that they don't stick out past the face of the wheel hub; not to attractive.

Another option might be to purchase the wheel install kit with new 25mm bearings, axle and spacers but that begs the question as to whether or not the rotor will align with the caliper/brake pads.

No doubt the Breakout wheel can be fitted to another model, that is really not the question. The questions are:

1. Is it a direct bolt on to another '08 or later wide glide front end?
2. What is required to install the Breakhout wheel on another '08 or later model with a standard front end?
3. Obviously not a bolt on to an early front end, wide glide or not so what is required for those conversions?

The fender is not an issue; it will have to be removed or replaced; fitment is the issue.

I have seen and exchanged emails with owners that have the Breakout wheel on a Springer, Deluxe and Custom but the owners did not do the conversion themselves so no one has been able to share the details of the conversion.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:39 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 381 Posts

I have a digital caliper and a Breakout. If you guys want to tell me what to measure I would be glad to help.

Quick Reply: Breakout front wheel 21" X 3.5" on 2008 Night Train