Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Packing & Camping tips?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 09:57 AM
JamieDTR
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Packing & Camping tips?

Hi guys, this year I will be taking my first bike trips and just trying to think ahead of what I need and how to pack. The trips we have planned so far are all about 4 days of camping.

I have a 2014 Breakout, and will NOT have a passenger.

Since we are camping, I know I will need a tent, some sort of air mattress or bed roll, sleeping bag or sheets, and pillow.

I'm a guy, so I'm pretty easy on clothing.

My biggest questions are:

1. what do you guys use for bags / luggage?

2. What do you use for a tent, air mattress, etc?

3. How do you pack everything on the bike?

I was thinking along the lines more of a sissy bar and bag that sits on the passenger seat and strap it to a sissy bar as opposed to any saddle bags. Once we are at our destination, we are staying there until its time to return home.

Any pics, thoughts, suggestions would all be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 01-20-2014, 10:49 AM
threadstopper
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

t-bags raven with extra outer cover also a thermorest mattress. have a safe trip.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by threadstopper; 01-20-2014 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:52 PM
Viking Bags
Former Sponsor
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey,

Camping and road trips are always fun. Especially on a new bike

We actually have a lot of sissy bar bag options http://www.vikingbags.com/motorcycle-sissy-bar-bags.htm available. You should be able to fit everything you need for camping in one. Personally, I have a Coleman 4 person tent and sleeping bag, I don't have any trouble mounting it to the back of my sissy bar. It'll be even easier without a 2 up passenger.

Also, if you're worried about the aesthetics of the saddlebags, you can attach a quick release mount to remove the bags cleanly. http://www.vikingbags.com/motorcycle...saddlebags.htm

Old 01-20-2014, 01:15 PM
dsonnenberg
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure you take a tarp, it will save you from any dampness and heavy rains that a tent wont stop

Old 01-20-2014, 01:55 PM
oldwarrior
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pack the things you may need while riding in an easy to get to spot, things like the tent can be packed first, with the other gear on top, also makes sure your heavy items are packed first, keep the center of gravity low.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:59 PM
rmarino14
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a two or three man tent (depending on how big you are) this way you can bring your gear in with you. Like others said get a tarp to lay the tent on. Also, waterproof your tent even if you buy one that says it has water repellant on it. Sucks sleeping and being in a went tent.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:11 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Sissy bar w/luggage rack is ideal. For weight displacement I put a T bag on the passenger seat and the sleeping pad, bag and pup tent on the luggage rack. For 2 up road trips I hotel it and carry T bag as seen in pic. I use a quick release sissy bar and rack.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:09 PM
Snowyone
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default packin

Man I wish we had had the internet when I started out. My first road trips I looked like a gypsy peddler. Left a string of gear behind me. Just me but I would go for the saddle bags and if you don't like the look just use them for traveling. My riding buddy resisted getting saddle bags and was always asking to put stuff in mine which he finally figured out wasn't going to happen. Just an easy place for rain gear, tools, oil etc. If you do decide to get them(traveling without sucks) be sure and store you heavier gear there to keep your weight low. Next is a waterproof duffel not more than 24" wide so it doesn't stick out so far. Aerostitch is a great source for camping gear and has these and the bag has D-rings for tying down. I use a Redver tent because it has a garage for the bike and I can stand up in it. Spendy but I've been doing this for years so spoil myself and security is good. Thermarest has some great mattresses and I like the ones you can add some air to to firm up. Ya don't want to be messing with sheets, get a summer weight bag with a stuff sack. The duffel, tent, pad, and sleeping bag make an excellent back rest when tied down properly. Use parachute cord for tie downs. bungee cords suck and are best for putting an eye out or a knot on the head. Cargo nets work great. My .02

Old 01-20-2014, 04:47 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

That is my Low loaded up for the 860+ mile one day run to Sturgis last year. I'm only 73. When I get old I might not be able to tent camp for a week.

This is the camp site at Elk View campgrounds outside of Sturgis. Small 2 man tent, sleeping bag, exercise mat(less trouble than air mattress) , toiletries and a small thin blanket. I load old t-shirts, socks and underwear and throw them away each day. The yellow blob was cheap rain gear. If I run out I get some cheap ones at Walmart and repeat the process.

The trailer in the background is set up to haul up to three bikes, has a/c and heat and a nice bunk. Bought it new in 07 and set it up. Used it one time to Sturgis. Makes a nice storage shed though.

Last edited by lh4x4; 01-20-2014 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:18 PM
skyflyer
Road Captain
Received 126 Likes on 73 Posts

Gear adds up fast.

Small battery operated lantern, rechargable preferred.
Expandable fishing pole with small tackle box.
Fold up cooler.
Tarp
Garbage bags

Quick Reply: Packing & Camping tips?