Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Mod Power increase on Deuce

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 08:03 PM
Andy-Deuce
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Winter Mods Power increase on Deuce

In November after reading many posts on here and watching many tutorials on youtube i decided to tear down the top end on my deuce and have a go at getting some extra power. The only mods i had made prior to this was to fit a heavy breather and a V&H big radius 2 into 2. My shopping list was as follows:

Raised port heads w/1.900 valves, with compression releases
10.1 compression
88 to 98 big bore kit
Andrews 54 gear cams
Bored throttle body 43mmm to 48mm
Adjustable push rods

Well i got it altogether after just having to by one special tool to remove the inner cam bearings. Once all assembled i turned the motor over with no spark plugs fitted to get some oil pressure and then reinstalled the spark plugs and then had a great felling of satisfaction when i hit the start button and it fired straight up.
Well the bike got transported last week to be dynoed and it got tuned today here are my results which i'm really happy with and a few photos.

Raised ported heads

Here is a picture of the bored throttle body from 43mm to 48mm for the 2001 2005 EFI models

Results

Here is some info on the tuning route i took

Harley introduced fuel injection during the 1995 model year on the Ultraglide (FLHTCUi) during the Evolution era, and with the arrival of the Twin Cam some models were available with a choice of either a carburettor or fuel injection. Everything for 2007 and later (including the Sportsters) is only available as EFI (Electronic Fuel Injection). Whilst it may well be the case that ever tightening emissions regulations have caused the move to EFI, it also true that the change to the Delphi engine management system has brought with it tremendous tuning potential. Any modification that alters the engine's ability to breathe, whether it be an air cleaner change, exhaust system, cams, heads, or a capacity increase, changes the fueling requirement. A compression increase also requires a change to the ignition maps. If any of this is not done correctly, then at best we have an under performing engine with driveability issues, or at worst, a short engine life.Unfortunately, much of the market despises this new technology because of it's complexity and the cost of dealing with EFI properly. However, we have chosen to embrace it and to that end we have installed our state of the art Superflow Eddy Current dyno and Technoresearch Direct Link Flash Tuner engine management facility.
Using these two products together we can measure and record every signal that the Harley Delphi ECM (Electronic Control Module) receives and puts out at all throttle positions and engine loads, and remap it accordingly. This includes everything from fuel injector duty cycle to ignition timing adjustments on each cylinder. We have full control over the way the engine runs, which is not the case with the "piggy back" add on fuelers. The Direct Link Flash Tuner system allows us to remap the factory ECM and nothing is left connected to the bike afterwards, and because we are using the stock ECM, any Harley dealer, worldwide, can still use their Digital Technician for diagnostics.

Last edited by Andy-Deuce; 02-16-2014 at 04:41 AM.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:20 PM
JoeBye
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good numbers, no better feeling than doing it yourself.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:37 PM
Andy-Deuce
Advanced

Thanks for "all" the response guys ......oh well that's a great looking graph if i do say so myself!

Old 02-18-2014, 04:33 PM
JoeBye
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Andy, what brand air intake are you running? Any problems with hitting your leg. I am in the market for a forward facing intake I like the way they look.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:41 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

This is the first time I've seen this thread.
Those are some pretty good numbers. Pretty nice feeling doing it yourself.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:42 PM
Andy-Deuce
Advanced

I'm using the screamin eagle heavy breather, no prob hitting my legs on it and I'm only a short **** and also have +3 forward controls.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:53 AM
Gary Deuce
Novice

Everyone is speechless.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:39 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 815 Likes on 801 Posts

looks like a really good build, turned out a good sheet.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:50 PM
Andy-Deuce
Advanced

Well i finally got to ride it today, it's very responsive and smooth and pulls like a train, making it very enjoyable to ride...... one happy Harley owner

Old 02-19-2014, 07:46 PM
fatboy1729
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That's great news...I hope I can say that when I am done. I am doing the same build practically including the cams on my 06 Fatboy...My first time doing this. I sent you a message about the build...BTW, your bike is great looking...Ride safe...Ray...