Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust removal question

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 01:03 PM
Mikeduke108
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust removal question

I am replacing some of the covers on my softail slim, and want to remove the exhaust (vance and Hines BSS) to make the job easier.

I have removed the heat shields before but i need to remove the header pipes this time, and I have 02 sensors.

Do these just unplug from the pipe?
do i just loosen the flange on the head pipe and pull them out?

do i need to apply anything to the pipes when they go back in?

any info would be helpful...

Old 07-22-2014, 01:21 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikeduke108
I am replacing some of the covers on my softail slim, and want to remove the exhaust (vance and Hines BSS) to make the job easier.

I have removed the heat shields before but i need to remove the header pipes this time, and I have 02 sensors.

Do these just unplug from the pipe?
do i just loosen the flange on the head pipe and pull them out?

do i need to apply anything to the pipes when they go back in?

any info would be helpful...
If you are just removing the pipes from the bike then you don't have to remove the O2 sensors from the pipes themselves. What you can do is unplug the sensors' wire harness from the connectors and then pull the pipes off with the sensors intact.

Follow the wire from the O2 sensor to find where it plugs in. The front O2 sensor plug is usually under a plastic cover in front of your oil filter that just pops off. Unplug that one first just so you can see how the plug works. The rear plug is probably under your oil tank so it helps to know how the plug works so you can unplug it by feel since you probably won't be able to see it as well. If you find it hard to rout the wire for the rear sensor out after you unplug it don't panic. On my bike, the plug is clipped into a little retainer that keeps it in place. Just work the plug free from the retainer before you try to rout it out from under the oil tank.

You can apply a little WD40 to your flange nuts to help you take them off but they shouldn't be on there too tight. The pipes should just pull out once you remove the flange nuts. Wiggle the pipe a little while you pull out if it feels like it's hung up any. Remember to wipe away any excess WD40 from the exhaust pipe and motor so that it doesn't stain when you run the bike again and things get hot. Also, DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN those nuts when you install the pipes back on!!! They take very little torque. You do no want to break anything. Just make sure to start the nuts with your fingers to make sure you are not cross threading them and make sure you apply the proper torque values.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe it is recommended that you apply anti seize to your flange nuts when you re-install. Can anyone confirm this please?

You will need to replace your exhaust gaskets whenever you take off your pipes. Gaskets are made of a spongy metal material that is designed to CRUSH into place when you tighten the pipes on. This crushing ensures that they fill in any gaps and provide a good seal. However, this also means that they are of single use. When you take off your pipes the old ones will probably stay inside to opening in your engine. Use a small pick to pry them out and make sure you get all the material out before installing the new ones. You can apply a little grease to the new ones to help put them in since they will be a snug fit. Just don't freak out when you first start your bike again because you will see smoke which is the grease burning off.

Take your time and double check everything.

If you do remove the sensor for some reason make sure you apply anti seize to the threads before putting them back on. Most instructions say to use a crows foot wrench but if you're careful an open end wrench will work just fine as long as your careful not to round off the corners. Lots of techs use whats called an O2 wrench which usually looks like the head of a crows foot wrench that's been cut off it's handle and has a hole to install it onto a small ratchet. This allows them to get in tight spots and remove the O2 sensors from the pipes without removing the pipes from the bike. However, you still have to unplug the wire first because it will twist when you try to remove the O2 sensor which can get pretty aggravating. So again, in your case just leave the O2 sensors installed on the pipe and unplug the other end of the wire in order to remove the pipes off your bike.

Last edited by Skeezmachine; 07-22-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:40 PM
mkenkel
Cruiser

exactly like skeezmachine said. no need to remove the sensors,just unplug them. and you will need a 1/4 drive ratchet with a ujoint for the rear header bolts. no big deal,just take your time.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:58 PM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

You got some good advise here, but the only thing I would change is to recommend you use Permatax Copper instead of grease... available at any auto parts store.
A light coating will help lube the gaskets for a much easier install over trying to install them dry, plus it's heat resistant and won't burn off, and it will even help make a better seal...

Old 07-22-2014, 06:50 PM
sioux565
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Great advice so far. One thing I will add after removing the stock exhaust and install a full system is just take your time. Trying to get at the rear flange nuts can be tricky. Cover the oil tank with a shirt or blanket to prevent scratches!

Old 07-23-2014, 08:49 AM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 674 Posts

You should buy an entire set of swivel sockets because they always come in handy.

This is the single best tool to use for the exhaust flange nuts.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:27 PM
Michael knowles
Tourer

New gaskets they only crush once.