Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blacking out my engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 10:09 PM
rgrant2214
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blacking out my engine

I'm in the process of replacing all the engine covers, rocker boxes, push rod covers etc. on my 13 fatboy... I'm going with wrinkle black. I'm a little nervous taking off the rocker boxes and push rod covers....am I thinking too much or is it pretty simple? Any suggestions? Thanks

Old 07-29-2014, 07:13 AM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 674 Posts

Originally Posted by rgrant2214
I'm in the process of replacing all the engine covers, rocker boxes, push rod covers etc. on my 13 fatboy... I'm going with wrinkle black. I'm a little nervous taking off the rocker boxes and push rod covers....am I thinking too much or is it pretty simple? Any suggestions? Thanks
The first thing you should do is to by the Service Manual. It will walk you through it step by step. Read it over and over before you start so you already have a good idea of what you're going to have to do.

Other than that, there really isn't much that you can screw up. It's not difficult, just time consuming and patience is needed.

Make sure that you have a good torque wrench and I'm not sure about the Softail, but you might need torque bars which allow you to torque bolts that you can reach. I know that you need them for 1 or 2 bolts on touring models.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:26 AM
stng_96
Road Master

If you can remember how you took it apart then you can put it together. All you'll really need are the torque numbers and new gaskets.

These motors are very simple, and very easy to work on. Theres no timing to worry about on the job you are talking about, no crazy tolerances to meet, nothing over the top at all.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:54 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I guess I'm should follow this thread.

I'll be doing all my engine covers as well later this year. Wasn't too concerned with the tranny covers nor the primary or timing cover. The top covers seem pretty straight forward as well and I should have my tank off at the time so hopefully my torque wrench and sockets will be okay to button it back down.

The lifter covers on the other hand are a total mystery. I own a service manual and have tried to research the removal and installation process and so far don't understand it enough to feel comfortable doing it. I was beginning to settle on the idea that I may just skip those which would stink because I think they'd stand out like a sore thumb.

It doesn't help that it happens to be one of the procedures in the service manual that has little to no illustrations. Then, if I am not mistaken the manual describes some process of turning the engine to get the lifters in, removing the spark plugs and peeking in the holes to check that you're at top dead center, blah, blah, blah. And if you do any of it wrong you'll damage the motor!!!

It was enough to scare me from attempting it until someone who has ACTUALLY DONE THE SWAP THEMSELVES can shed some light on the topic and maybe put my mind at ease about attempting the job.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:48 AM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 674 Posts

Don't overthink it. Just follow the procedure in the manual. It gives you the torque and sequence. There are also some YouTubes on how to do it. They might be for an EVO but it is basically the same thing. The most important thing is getting the box lined up properly on the head which takes a $5 tool.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:11 AM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Just a quick FYI...
For the top rocker covers on a Slim, I had to buy a 7/16" x 2" torque adapter from McMaster-Carr in order to reach nearly all of the left side bolts that were under the frame and/or wiring harness channel, and unreachable with just a torque wrench and socket.
I also made use of an online torque wrench adapter calculator to determine the "new" torque value, since adding length to the wrench itself, will change the torque value... ie; by adding 2" inches to the overall length, a torque value of 15.0 ft. lbs will drop to 13.x or so...

Another tip - for the clutch cover, buy the biggest set of snap-ring pliers you can find.
That monstrous snap ring that holds the ball & ramp assembly inside the cover is a be-itch... and don't forget a new o-ring for the clutch cable.

Last edited by jam436; 07-29-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:16 PM
rgrant2214
2nd Gear

Thanks for the info everyone!