Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions needed.......

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 10:56 PM
norcal
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions needed.......

so i am looking to drop the front end on my 11 deluxe. i was wondering what people were using. I am looking to drop it 2" The two options i am looking at are the progressive "drop in" fork lowering kit or the progressive monotube cartridge kit. i will be replacing the stock lower fork legs for chrome ones at the same time. thanks for the advice

Old 08-29-2014, 07:35 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by norcal
so i am looking to drop the front end on my 11 deluxe. i was wondering what people were using. I am looking to drop it 2" The two options i am looking at are the progressive "drop in" fork lowering kit or the progressive monotube cartridge kit. i will be replacing the stock lower fork legs for chrome ones at the same time. thanks for the advice
Be careful. The Deluxe is already lowered (from the factory).

Old 08-29-2014, 05:19 PM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've tried both, Progressive's Drop in Springs and their Mono Tubes. The Mono Tube are by far the way to go!

Old 08-29-2014, 06:17 PM
norcal
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by olongapo1
I've tried both, Progressive's Drop in Springs and their Mono Tubes. The Mono Tube are by far the way to go!
What year is ur bike was it lowered the same as a deluxe from the dealer

Old 08-29-2014, 08:08 PM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I installed the Mono Tubes on an 02 Fatboy. Prior to that, I spent many man-hours trying to dial in the Progressive Drop in Springs. Different lengths of spacers, fluid levels, and fluid weights. Never could achieve that "Sweet Spot". The Mono Tubes were perfect and I've never had to touch the forks again.

Last year a riding buddy of mine asked me to work on his 08 Deluxe. His complaint was that it was to low for our riding conditions and he always scraped the floorboards in the turns. After much researching, measuring, and experimenting I came to the conclusion that the only difference in the Deluxe compared to other like Softails was the design of the shocks. The part number of the 08 Deluxe fork springs was the same as an 08 Fatboy. I removed his shocks and mounted a set from an 03 Night Train which raised the bike roughly 1.5 inches. After dialing in the preload, the owner stated that the bike handled better than with the stock setup.

Summery:
1. If you perform a part number check, you should discover that your 2011 Deluxe has the same fork springs as the Fatboy or Heritage of the same year. The only difference in the Deluxe is the design of the shocks which lowers the rear of the bike. The lower shocks on the Deluxe are not simply a different shock stem. There is a size difference in the shock canister also. If you're interested I have photos. Send me a mail at olongapo2@gmail.com.

2. It's my recommendation that you should install Mono Tubes and drop the front of the bike no more than 1 inch.

Last edited by olongapo1; 08-29-2014 at 08:22 PM.