Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil seal in 86 pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 06:45 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default oil seal in 86 pump

Hi Guys
86 883 sportster... I got the new seal for the oil pump plate but I'm not 100% percent certain which direction it installs into the plate and to me the manual is not quite clear. Can someone please tell me if the seal goes in as shown in the first photo or as shown in the second photo? Near as I can tell its the direction shown in the second photo but not absolute certain.

Thanks

Old 10-17-2014, 07:12 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,580 Likes on 3,827 Posts

I think it goes like number one since the lip should face the highest pressure which I think is the large pump rotor is on the side. Then I pondered is that backwards. Is the big one the high volume, low pressure return and the small one the pressure side? Back to my manual? HA Sure it spells out which side the lip goes in the instructions. Well I reread and the small thinner rotor is the pressure side. We all know the lip faces the the side you want to seal. So are you trying to seal the side that feeds the engine or seal the return from sucking oil from the engine feed side. Put it like the old one was? HA . The call out in my EVO for the larger gear pumps states lip to drive side. My Sporty manual is in German and I am too rusty to see it but it's in the instructions on installing the center seal.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 10-17-2014 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:27 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
I think it goes like number one since the lip should face the highest pressure which I think is the large pump rotor is on the side. Then I pondered is that backwards. Is the big one the high volume, low pressure return and the small one the pressure side? Back to my manual? HA Sure it spells out which side the lip goes in the instructions. Well I reread and the small thinner rotor is the pressure side. We all know the lip faces the the side you want to seal. So are you trying to seal the side that feeds the engine or seal the return from sucking oil from the engine feed side. Put it like the old one was? HA . The call out in my EVO for the larger gear pumps states lip to drive side. My Sporty manual is in German and I am too rusty to see it but it's in the instructions on installing the center seal.
I believe you are correct.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:28 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

ok this may clear things up, I think I may have just been misreading the manual. It clearly states or it appears to clearly state to install the oil seal so lip is toward gerator set, feed (thin) (12)

This is the way I installed the seal which I'm almost pretty sure is what the manual is saying.
- seal installed with lip facing (12) gerator set feed , both views

- the seal and plate in place on the shaft and lined up with pin

- and (12) gerator set feed in place over (14) outer plate with seal

I'm hoping this is correct. It does appear quite stiff to turn when the (6) cover is held down tight.

Last edited by RidemyEVO; 10-17-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:03 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

according to the directions that appears to be correct...But, damn they make the directions hard to follow...

Old 10-21-2014, 07:18 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mrfikser
according to the directions that appears to be correct...But, damn they make the directions hard to follow...
Yes they do. Job done, or at least that part.