Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery life

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 02:58 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

Mine has the alarm system and can sit up to two months and still start fine, maybe the new keyless system uses more power, I do use a maintainer during the winter months.
Just spend 30 bucks and get a maintainer and plug it in if it's going to sit for more than a few days.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:16 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I just replaced the battery on my 08. I use a tender and unplug when the bike goes out and replug when it pulls into the garage.

I have had batteries that lasted beyond 8 years using that method. A battery has a specific charge discharge cycles in it. By keeping it floating at full charge will extend the life. Other failures can occur. One battery died with a swelled cell and it was replaced under warranty.

To just say your battery dies does not provide enough information. How long does it set? How long is the typical ride? It takes at least 30 miles for the bike to just recharge the amount used to start the bike let alone any amount it had drained down from lack of use.

A $20 Schumaker 1.5 amp tender at Walmart and used fully will save grief and dollars over the years.

I have 14 bikes and three vehicles on tenders and have never had battery trouble beyond the faulty battery that I mentioned.

By the way batteries discharge not even connected to any thing. One in a bike will have line drop discharge. Want to see? Just take the negative cable off in a dark garage and touch it to the ground post on the battery. You will see a spark. That my friends is drainage 24/7.

Last edited by lh4x4; 02-14-2015 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:49 PM
Berardi3
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got 8 years out my battery 2006 Sporty 883

Old 02-15-2015, 04:05 AM
IronPhil
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys for the answers. My typical ride is 16 miles to go to work and 16 to come back.
But the thing that worry me more is that if the battery is giving 12.4V why does the "side stand" message appear, because this will stop the engine and I will have to start it back, pretty inconvenient when the battery is supposedly discharged. I'm wondering if the side stand sensor is working properly.

Old 02-15-2015, 03:31 PM
Zenmervolt
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly, I'd just wire around the side stand switch and be done with it. US models don't have the side-stand safety switch and we do just fine.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:08 PM
mwegryn
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Something isn't right. You have the warranty, definitely use it. Even if it is not battery related in the end, get yourself a battery tender if you don't already have one. They can really extend the life of the battery. With the electronics on modern bikes, there is always some sort of a small drain. Living here it can sit for months unfortunately in the winter.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:23 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by mwegryn
Something isn't right. You have the warranty, definitely use it. Even if it is not battery related in the end, get yourself a battery tender if you don't already have one. They can really extend the life of the battery. With the electronics on modern bikes, there is always some sort of a small drain. Living here it can sit for months unfortunately in the winter.
Had mine on a tender since day 1 and the battery still crapped out in 4 months. The battery being connected while on the showroom floor with no charger maintenance is part of the problem.

Old 02-16-2015, 02:50 PM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A bad battery will also show "good voltage" (I keep one to run my I-pod camping) so do a voltage drop at the STARTER to see if it falls below (and I can't find the exact number) 10.8 volts (?) [verify this #] when you hit the starter button. I can tell two ways with my 01: there is a slight delay when I hit the switch and it sputter-farts through the carb when it is cold and not 100% hot warmed up! Then it finally will develop into a "cranks over-no start" situation. Or you can have it load tested at HD dealer if you do not have the multimeter.

Old 02-16-2015, 04:15 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by IronPhil
Thanks guys for the answers. My typical ride is 16 miles to go to work and 16 to come back.
But the thing that worry me more is that if the battery is giving 12.4V why does the "side stand" message appear, because this will stop the engine and I will have to start it back, pretty inconvenient when the battery is supposedly discharged. I'm wondering if the side stand sensor is working properly.
Phil, take your bike to your dealer! We can keep offering suggestions, such as you may have a charging problem, etc., but you have that 'get-out-jail-card' called a warranty! Use it and get your bike sorted. By all means ask them what they found and let us know.

A pal of mine has a new Glide, just a few months old. It kept giving problems and eventually turned out, after several visits to the dealer, to be some obscure electronic thingey had gone wrong and was slowly discharging his battery. You may have something similar, so don't trouble yourself, just get them to sort it for you!

Old 02-27-2015, 03:39 PM
IronPhil
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After taking the bike to the dealer, they have changed the side stand sensor, the bike was finally giving an error code (to have that the problem as to last for at least 2 seconds, and that wasn't the case before it got really worse). The funny thing is that a couple of weeks ago they changed the IAC because I had an idle problem with the engine stopping for no reason. Well it seems that it was all related to that sensor, since it seems that the bike does not have any more problems...

Last edited by IronPhil; 02-27-2015 at 03:41 PM.