Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Bar end mirrors for RSD Clip-ons

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 03:14 PM
jlon
Stage III
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default DIY Bar end mirrors for RSD Clip-ons

I ordered some Country Hill 3" round mirrors from Amazon awhile back to replace the stock HD. I never installed them on my drag bars because the stock was fine but once I put the RSD clip-ons on it was time to make the switch. It took me only 30 seconds into my ride to know these are useful only to keep an eye on my elbows. Couldn't see a thing. So I started searching for bar end mirrors to fit the RSD bars and found that most of you who have gone this route drilled out the ends to accommodate 7/8" mounts. I then scoured the Interwebs for something that just bolted on. I mean, Roland must've had something in mind when including the threaded holes at the end of the bars. But, no dice. Nothing. Someone else had the same question and the RSD site admin only replied with, "Our clip-on bars are solid aluminum (not hollow tubing). You will not be able to slide anything into the end of the bar. Sorry."

Its true that they're not hollow but they are threaded. 1/4" - 20 thread to be exact and about 2" deep. After scrounging around on my increasingly messy bike shed floor I happened across a bolt with that exact size and threading:

I then checked to make sure the set screw on the mirrors held tight to the bolt head:

2 for 2!

The bolts weren't quite right so I stopped at my local hardware store to pick up a few alternatives. I settled on the black oxide bolts (2 1/2" I believe) but had to go with stainless washers and nuts. Brought them home and started assembling:

I cut some squares in my stock grips figuring the washers would cover the imperfections:

Both sides:

Close-up:

Now, you'll notice that last 2 photos were on the throttle side. And the washer, nut and bolt are tightened up against the grip. It wasn't until I backed the bike out of of the shed and tried giving a little gas that I somehow didn't realize this would prevent the throttle from turning. I ended up just pulling it off to go for a ride and check out the clutch side before worrying more about it. I was able to see through bar end mirror much better than top mounted so I'm going to cut the end of the grip off and use a smaller washer for the throttle side.

I think that'll do for the time being while I look into alternatives.

The following 2 users liked this post by jlon:
devildawg712 (04-24-2016), Rafael Rivera Jr (05-15-2020)
Old 04-24-2016, 08:54 AM
devildawg712
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

just wondering how this is working for you? Did you stay with this setup or bite the bullet and end up drilling holes into the RSD Clips ons? I may venture with this DIY if this is still working out with no issues. Thanks in advance

Old 05-15-2020, 02:45 AM
Rafael Rivera Jr
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default End mirrors for clip ons

I was having the same issues with the Roland Sands café clip on’s. I came across your thread as I look for a solution. Thanks For offering a solution. Just going to add a correction on the bolts needed. It needs to be an M6, metric. Not 1/4. You can find them at your local Home Depot in the drawer section of the bolts. Five years later and you’re thread is still helping others, thanks

I took some pictures while I was in the process of adding them and also adding new Biltwell hand grips with the stock mirrors upside down. And for the accelerator I added washers. After I was done I removed the stock mirrors and the end result is a beautiful café style Harley Davidson