Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebars Handlebars and Handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 03:49 PM
Real Low
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handlebars Handlebars and Handlebars

Hello, Hi and how's it going,

I'm the proud owner of my first ever HD/cruiser and loving it...2007 XL1200 low

However, it's been two weeks and I'm ready to start playing!

As the subject suggests, I'm going ga-ga trying to find suitable handlebars and I've spent countless hours trawling the net to no avail...I have found sites that provide a wide range of bars but not what the bars actually look like on the bike.

So, originally I like the look of apes but more the mini apes that came as standard (on the 2013 I think) but apes on a sportster? Not sure...so then I thought about drag bars but I've done my sitting forward riding and now I'd like to stick to the cruise mentality. Are there any straight bars (no jokes...please) That would be about two inches closer to the rider from the original bars? I have looked at T bars but on the thin forks, not sure they look right either.

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

RL

Old 05-11-2015, 04:15 PM
lewk
Road Warrior
Received 213 Likes on 192 Posts

I can tell you what I did and you can decide:

I too have a 2007 XL200L and the stock handlebar was just a bit too low and too forward for me to ride "cruiser-style". I needed just about a 2-inch raise or the whereabouts. So,

1. I unbolted my handlebar and lifted it 2 inches in the air.
2. Since I was able to do that, it meant that I could re-use the existing cables when I push my handlebar up by 2 inches.
3 . Then I got myself these spacers:
Amazon.com: The Hillman Group 58602 Thick Heavy Duty Spacer, 1/2 x 1 x 2-Inch, 2-Pack: Home Improvement Amazon.com: The Hillman Group 58602 Thick Heavy Duty Spacer, 1/2 x 1 x 2-Inch, 2-Pack: Home Improvement

4 . As well as these bolts:
Steel Hex Bolt, Grade 8, Zinc Yellow-Chromate Plated Finish, Hex Head, External Hex Drive, Meets ASME B18.2.1/SAE J429, 4-1/2" Length, Partially Threaded, 1/2"-13 Threads (Pack of 5): Cap Screws And Hex Bolts: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific Steel Hex Bolt, Grade 8, Zinc Yellow-Chromate Plated Finish, Hex Head, External Hex Drive, Meets ASME B18.2.1/SAE J429, 4-1/2" Length, Partially Threaded, 1/2"-13 Threads (Pack of 5): Cap Screws And Hex Bolts: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Thereafter, it was just a matter of inserting the spacers and fastening everything with the longer bolts.

HTH.

Last edited by lewk; 05-11-2015 at 04:19 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:24 PM
Real Low
6th Gear

Many many thanks for the reply and info...a genius move on your part and something I wouldn't have even considered so thank you!

I've looked at beach bars too but even though I like the idea and concept (a nice straight bar sweeping back) I think they could be a little too wide for the sportster as well.

Short of going to a shop that stocks most types (I'm in Poland currently so that's a joke) and trying everything out, I don't want to make a mistake and order something completely off.

Maybe a trip to a HD main "stealer" would throw some light on it for ideas?

Old 05-11-2015, 04:30 PM
HD4813
3rd Gear

Another place to check out for bars is http://zombieperformance.com/, I have a set of the Wingus bars from them. Great quality and different than most other companies. There are a lot of different customizing options available also, plus I like to support the smaller guys when I can.

Old 05-11-2015, 04:34 PM
Real Low
6th Gear

Awesome, thank you I'll take a look.

I just read something about Hollywood style bars??

Old 05-11-2015, 08:37 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

I have a 2011 XL1200L and replaced my stock bar with Flanders Swept Back Handlebars since they are a bit narrower and sits closer to you than stock. I tried mini beach bars and they were too wide. I like my hands low and closer to me for better control and comfort while sitting up straight.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:26 AM
Real Low
6th Gear

Thank you! I have had a look at Flanders swept back and they seem exactly what I'm looking for! The only problem is I can't get a good front and side view..

Would it be possible to share two shots if you have the time of course?

Old 05-12-2015, 12:31 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Real Low
Thank you! I have had a look at Flanders swept back and they seem exactly what I'm looking for! The only problem is I can't get a good front and side view..

Look at this thread for pics, page 24 post 237. It is pics of my headlight install but it shows the handlebars hopefully from the angles you are requesting

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...ur-bagger.html

Old 05-12-2015, 09:00 PM
Switchback12
Road Master
Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

I put on the HD reduced reach bar on my 13 custom. It looks just like the stock bar but a couple inches wider, higher and closer.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:14 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Real Low

Rather than go by looks, what I did to find the exact fit for my riding style was to first determine the measurements of your stock handlebars i.e. diameter, width, rise, pullback center width. Sit on your bike upright, close your eyes and grab your imaginary handlebars where you feel natural and comfortable and keep your hands there, open your eyes and make a mental note on where your hands are compared to the stock handlebars. Measure the difference from stock to where your hands were then add/subtract from stock dimensions. Now you are ready to go shopping. It worked for me.

Quick Reply: Handlebars Handlebars and Handlebars