Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full coverage insurance

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 09:53 PM
ylwf3vr
Road Master

Received 132 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Full coverage insurance

Well I've become the statistic. Picked up the bike yesterday wrecked it today. and I'm not a new rider. Just new to Harley. So it was towed and I spent 5 hours in the ER getting evaluated. No broken bones just possible tendon and ligament damage to the knees and scrapes. Had all the PPEs on. Bike on the other hand....

So I've read comprehensive and collision covers repairs up to the value of the bike. Wondering if this is true.. (Anyone had experience)? I want to get back on that bike as soon as I heal! It was my fault for taking turn too fast. Please let me know if anyone had experience with comp/collision and what I should look out for (any "hidden" fieprints)

Old 07-26-2015, 10:25 PM
Cool Inferno
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Good thing your injuries were not more serious and hope you recover quickly.

They will repair up to 70% more or less of the value of the bike. As for the value of the bike, they use there own appraisal systems not commonly used by the general public. If it's above the 70 or 75% they will declare it a total loss. If you disagree with their value estimate you can dispute it by showing comps, such as dealer ads, or other ads showing a similar bike for sale.

Last edited by Cool Inferno; 07-26-2015 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:54 PM
ylwf3vr
Road Master

Originally Posted by Cool Inferno
Good thing your injuries were not more serious and hope you recover quickly.

They will repair up to 70% more or less of the value of the bike. As for the value of the bike, they use there own appraisal systems not commonly used by the general public. If it's above the 70 or 75% they will declare it a total loss. If you disagree with their value estimate you can dispute it by showing comps, such as dealer ads, or other ads showing a similar bike for sale.
Thanks!

Old 07-27-2015, 01:02 PM
blueracer
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it depends on the insurance company. I totaled a year old bike with 12,000 miles on it 5 years ago and the insurance company [State Farm] covered the full value of the bike, plus all mods/add-on's I had receipts for.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:20 PM
Cool Inferno
Road Master

GEICO also adds on I think it's 10 or 20% for accessories also. That's for total loss or theft when you have full coverage. I would be careful with State Farm, they tried to screw me with a corvette that had less then a month from purchase with the total value. Had to look for comps and after 8 months of disputing their estimate they agreed with me. I dropped them right after the payment and went with GEICO. I got much better rates with them also.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:28 PM
blueracer
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cool Inferno
GEICO also adds on I think it's 10 or 20% for accessories also. That's for total loss or theft when you have full coverage. I would be careful with State Farm, they tried to screw me with a corvette that had less then a month from purchase with the total value. Had to look for comps and after 8 months of disputing their estimate they agreed with me. I dropped them right after the payment and went with GEICO. I got much better rates with them also.
I have multiple policies with them plus have been a customer for 50 years, clean driving record [except for current speeding ticket I'm fighting] and a connection with their CEO. But ultimately it comes down to your agent and if they'll fight for you IMHO.
And at least they did eventually take care of you. But that said, I think I'll check with GEICO for grins. Thx.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:43 PM
Cool Inferno
Road Master

Originally Posted by blueracer
I have multiple policies with them plus have been a customer for 50 years, clean driving record [except for current speeding ticket I'm fighting] and a connection with their CEO. But ultimately it comes down to your agent and if they'll fight for you IMHO.
And at least they did eventually take care of you. But that said, I think I'll check with GEICO for grins. Thx.
Yeah I was with them for about 18 years and at the time of the incident had five cars and four motorcycles insured with them and with one accident (wife) about eight years ago. Agent disagreed with the claims dept assessment but they said that they were prohibited to get involved with the dispute. My agent did get involved when my calls were not answered by the claims department but that was it. The claim was for an electrical fire under the hood of the Vette and it was not a vehicle collision. I even went as far and filled a complaint with the Florida Insurance Commission.

It wouldn't hurt to get an estimate with GEICO, I saved over 30% and have seen no increases since.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:21 PM
bgup619
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Just looked at my policy.. I have 2500.00 in accessories insurance

Old 07-27-2015, 05:35 PM
ylwf3vr
Road Master

Will need to look into Geico. I do love their commercials lol. The adjuster still hasn't called yet. I have $3000 in accessories but they said its for gear. Not extras on the bike. Still going to try and see if it can be used for the mods.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:23 PM
Cool Inferno
Road Master

Originally Posted by ylwf3vr
Will need to look into Geico. I do love their commercials lol. The adjuster still hasn't called yet. I have $3000 in accessories but they said its for gear. Not extras on the bike. Still going to try and see if it can be used for the mods.
Besides that, How are you doing? Hope you are feeling better.

Quick Reply: Full coverage insurance