Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

883 Low Rider and classic "Old/New" Info needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 05:39 PM
Topacciolo
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 883 Low Rider and classic "Old/New" Info needed

Hi, i have friend that is looking to buy a 883 but she is relatively short (1.55m) and she is really concern about the seat eight and the weight of the bike. I have few questions that i hope you guys can help me with.
First, is there any difference in term of chassis from older to newer models? Older bikes are higher or lower then the new once (and if so from what year to what year) and are they any heavier or lighter?
I´m asking this question because a mechanic from a garage around here told her that carburetors 883s (He didn´t know what year...) have a more compact chassis and they are generally lower and lighter then the new injections models.
Second thing, from what i read Super Low models are lower then the standard 883 but what i´m trying to understand if is that due to lower suspensions, different seat and lower fork setting or is there any other difference (Like chassy or any other components)? Also, if she gets a normal 883, a part from lowering the rear suspensions, changing the seat and adjusting the front fork settings is there anything else that she can do to lower the bike? Like lower profile tire or anything else that you could think of? TIA and sorry if some of my questions may sound silly to you... just trying to get the info right before start looking for differnt models or different years and all this sort of thing. TIA!!

Old 08-11-2015, 11:02 AM
Andy Arocho
Cruiser

well besides being able to reach the ground, whats her riding background? regardless of the ride height she may be better off looking into a smaller metric bike (at least until she feels comfortable)

i don't know to much on older styles of the sporties as i am newer to HD myself, but i do know the superlow, hugger and iron models sit a little bit lower then other sporty models.

a low profile seat, lowering blocks, shorter progressives, and correct pre-load should do the trick for her IMO....but theirs a lot more experienced guy on here that would be able to tell you better.

hope this helps

Ride safe

Old 08-11-2015, 12:10 PM
elfnyc
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

the iron is the lowest by .2 inch lol not much

superlow
Displacement: 883cc
Seat Height: 25.5 inches
Fuel Capacity: 4.5 gallons
Weight: 563 pounds

Iron

Displacement: 883cc
Seat Height: 25.3 inches
Fuel Capacity: 3.3 gallons
Weight: 565 pounds

Nightster
(discontinued in 2013)
Displacement: 1200cc
Seat Height: 25.3 inches
Fuel Capacity: 3.3 gallons
Weight: 562 pounds

Forty-Eight
Displacement: 1200cc
Seat Height: 26 inches
Fuel Capacity: 2.1 gallons
Weight: 567 pounds

the softail Slim is the lowest stock ride height of all the bikes
next to the fatboy low

Displacement: 1690cc
Seat Height: 23.8 inches
Fuel Capacity: 5 gallons
Weight: 701 pounds

Old 08-11-2015, 10:07 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

From 2004 up, the frames are the same, with rubber-mount engines. 2004-2006 have a carb and the frame is the same as the fuel injected from '07 up. A different frame doesn't occur until you get to 2003 or older, with solid-mount engines. The vibration difference, between rubber-mount and solid, is significant. Find another mechanic that has at least a modicum of knowledge regarding Harley Sportsters. From what you're saying, he doesn't know Jack. Also, and it's a nit-picky point, a "Low Rider" is a big Harley, in the Dyna family. Among the shorter bikes, a Sportster may be either a "Hugger" (solid-mount from '03 and older), "Low" or a "Super Low". If you call a Sportster a "Low Rider", people will snicker at you.
Suspension makes up the Lion share of the height. Seat thickness also has an influence. Basically, Harley bikes are all the same frames, (within a Family ie. Sportster, Dyna, Softail, V-Rod, Tour), but the components that are bolted-on at the factory make up the particular models. Suspensions are different. Wheels and tires are different. Seats and Handlebars are different. Some have a lot of chrome and some don't. The beauty of a Harley is that you can make it any thing you want by exchanging components, but it can be less expensive to start with a model that has most of your priorities already installed.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:22 AM
Topacciolo
Novice

Originally Posted by HarleyScuba
From 2004 up, the frames are the same, with rubber-mount engines. 2004-2006 have a carb and the frame is the same as the fuel injected from '07 up. A different frame doesn't occur until you get to 2003 or older, with solid-mount engines. The vibration difference, between rubber-mount and solid, is significant. Find another mechanic that has at least a modicum of knowledge regarding Harley Sportsters. From what you're saying, he doesn't know Jack. Also, and it's a nit-picky point, a "Low Rider" is a big Harley, in the Dyna family. Among the shorter bikes, a Sportster may be either a "Hugger" (solid-mount from '03 and older), "Low" or a "Super Low". If you call a Sportster a "Low Rider", people will snicker at you.
Suspension makes up the Lion share of the height. Seat thickness also has an influence. Basically, Harley bikes are all the same frames, (within a Family ie. Sportster, Dyna, Softail, V-Rod, Tour), but the components that are bolted-on at the factory make up the particular models. Suspensions are different. Wheels and tires are different. Seats and Handlebars are different. Some have a lot of chrome and some don't. The beauty of a Harley is that you can make it any thing you want by exchanging components, but it can be less expensive to start with a model that has most of your priorities already installed.
Thanks for the detailed info. You seems to know way more then the mechanic she talked to. ;-) On you opinion, what is the best 883 in terms of height and weight for a short rider? Considering that from what i understood rare suspension can be changed, seat can be change and front forks can be adjust, as a model to start with (Like you were saying, something that brings us a close as possible to her priorities to start with) ??? The early 883 (Earlier then 2003 with solid mount) are they more compact in size then the later models?

Old 08-24-2015, 07:27 AM
Topacciolo
Novice

Originally Posted by Andy Arocho
well besides being able to reach the ground, whats her riding background? regardless of the ride height she may be better off looking into a smaller metric bike (at least until she feels comfortable)

i don't know to much on older styles of the sporties as i am newer to HD myself, but i do know the superlow, hugger and iron models sit a little bit lower then other sporty models.

a low profile seat, lowering blocks, shorter progressives, and correct pre-load should do the trick for her IMO....but theirs a lot more experienced guy on here that would be able to tell you better.

hope this helps

Ride safe
Hi Andy! Everything helps!! ;-) She does ride for over 8 years now. At the moment she rides a Suzuki intruder 600 and because she would like to pass to an HD she is looking in to the lightest and lowest model she can find. I have a Softail Slim myself and yes she can reach the floor easily but it´s way to heavy for her. She need something that she can maneuver and because she is small she definitely need a sporstster. Dyna and softail are way to heavy.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:55 AM
saddleupmc
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

The 883 Super Low would be the best choice. It has a low seat height, the most maneuverable handling, has a reduced reach seat, and an easy to reach and control the bike handlebar.

The 883 Super Low was built with people like your friend in mind.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:50 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 672 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by saddleupmc
The 883 Super Low would be the best choice. It has a low seat height, the most maneuverable handling, has a reduced reach seat, and an easy to reach and control the bike handlebar.

The 883 Super Low was built with people like your friend in mind.
Or the 1200T Superlow.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:39 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

I'm guessing that she won't be able to pick up a Sportster if she drops it. Curb weight can be mis-leading. A Dyna or Softail has a lower center of gravity, allowing an easier lift off the jiffy stand (kick stand). More so, if the Dyna or Softail has been lowered beyond factory spec. My Gal had two Sportsters (2001 & 2004), and now rides a Dyna Switchback. She swears she'll never get another Sportster. (I love my Sportster, but that's a story for a different day.) She's 130 pounds, soaking wet. Five foot, 3 inches (1.6m)) and every bit of a Lady. A Sportster is not a beginner's bike. It's smaller than the Big Twins, but it's taller center of gravity, coupled with its "sport" aspirations (heft, gearing, torque, steering angle, lean angle) take it well past a Honda 600 as a starter bike. If possible, have her compare the effort to raise a Sportster verses a Softail or Dyna. While the bike is on its jiffy stand, have her turn the handlebars to the right, then lift the bike upright. Something about leverage and fulcrums, makes it easier. No matter the curb weight, they weigh almost nothing once they're going down the road. Most importantly, explore options. I think any Harley can be made to sit lower than factory (handling may suffer). The seat height on my '03 Softail is 24 inches, without my fat behind sitting on it. Lower than the factory spec for a laden 883 Super Low.
If she's dead-set on a Sportster, I'd aim for a carbureted 883 Low, 2005-2006. I don't think I'd consider the older, solid-mount frames "more compact". In fact, with forward foot controls, the reach is longer on the solid-mounts. Go with a rubber-mount, if it's got to be a Sportster.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:45 PM
Randy Mac
Tourer
Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

I bought an XL883 Super Low because it was shiney, the Iron didn't appeal to me.

Quick Reply: 883 Low Rider and classic "Old/New" Info needed