Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i really hate to do this.... LEDS

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 07:47 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr_Taipan
Interesting. In the UK our annual inspection requires your headlight to display a distinct beam pattern. Not sure hwo the LED will work out fo rthat but I'm so intrigued i've ordered a cheap one (£9 delivered) to test it.

Looking at DKs pictures it seems the LED gives more local flooded light than standard? I'd be more intersted in a good spread of light right in font of me so I can spot the damn pot holes my roads seem to be littered with. If it does this without searching for aircraft then i'll get a decent LED even if I have to swap them out for the annual test.

really easy solution there, lol. swap that h4 on inspection day. if you are in fear of regs, stick to the sealed lamps sold in your zone. that way you can stay in spec. does hd or jw offer those goods for you?

Old 10-29-2015, 09:17 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
really easy solution there, lol. swap that h4 on inspection day. if you are in fear of regs, stick to the sealed lamps sold in your zone. that way you can stay in spec. does hd or jw offer those goods for you?
Yes, as I said thats exactly what i'll do , just swap them for the annual inspection.

Our headlights must light up only the road in front of you and the sidewalk with an additional raised area. Unless I lit up an oncoming cop car its unlikely i'll get stopped for them to check it.

When people were fitting HIDs they seemed to just send a massive spread of uncontrolled, multi directional light. PITA if you have one behind you as the glare in your mirrors is distracting to say the least. More dangerous is they blind oncoming traffic.

From what people are saying the LEDs wont do this and if i can keep the beam down enough to miss oncoming traffic then the improved spread of light will be welcome.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:29 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Our bikes come with suitable stock headlamps for driving on the left, but the MoCo doesn't seem to offer us lhd versions of any of their custom headlamps, such as the Daymakers. As I mentioned earlier Trucklite recently introduced a lhd 7" LED unit, so we must hope they do the same for a 5 3/4" unit.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:35 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Mr T you're quite right about aftermarket HIDs, however interestingly when fitted to a new vehicle they have to be self-levelling, to avoid the dazzle problem. I have them in my MG and it is a real pain when the thingey that does the levelling plays up. Unfortunately there is no requirement to be self-levelling when installing aftermarket HIDs.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:54 PM
Crispy Nubbins
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

so... let them be blinded... they will not say they didn't see me. i just don't care. i'm the one on the bike. i'm all i care about when i'm on two wheels, they are all trying to kill me.

loud pipes and annoying lights save lives.

people will say both are not true, those people can kiss my . get on a quiet, dim bike and then get on a loud bright bike. gauge the difference in traffic around you for yourself.

did the same to my jeep like you mentioned. didn't care about the whole cut off/reflector bucket nonsense there either.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tr...rness-2915849/

it's okay for you to feel a certain way about lights, but please don't get on a soap box about it. it just causes problems.

dk imports the lights for 20 and sells them for 60, which is fine considering the time you must wait for the lights to come from china (about 3 weeks) vs the 1 to two days it takes for a dk m3h led to appear at your door.
I'll get on my soap box if I want. Your blatant disregard for oncoming traffic is why I'm up here. Like another stated, if you feel safe blinding 2-3 ton oncoming traffic so be it. But I prefer to come home to my kids. Like the UK brother posted his test pattern he has to pass ours is the same just opposite. That's why true HID projectors have steps in them. To keep the oncoming traffic side low & your side lit. And if you don't get annoyed at all these young kids in lifted trucks with PnP HIDs in their headlights & fog lights glaring so bad you have to squint your eyes I call BS.
And you see how lit up the ground is in front of the bike with the LED in the DK bulb comparison? That's also bad. When that happens your eyes focus on the closest brightest area. Which in turn hurts your distance viewing. Do you want to see 10 feet in front your bike going 55mph or 100 feet. I doubt anyone can react if the see something that late.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:37 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Crispy Nubbins
I'll get on my soap box if I want. Your blatant disregard for oncoming traffic is why I'm up here. Like another stated, if you feel safe blinding 2-3 ton oncoming traffic so be it. But I prefer to come home to my kids. Like the UK brother posted his test pattern he has to pass ours is the same just opposite. That's why true HID projectors have steps in them. To keep the oncoming traffic side low & your side lit. And if you don't get annoyed at all these young kids in lifted trucks with PnP HIDs in their headlights & fog lights glaring so bad you have to squint your eyes I call BS.
And you see how lit up the ground is in front of the bike with the LED in the DK bulb comparison? That's also bad. When that happens your eyes focus on the closest brightest area. Which in turn hurts your distance viewing. Do you want to see 10 feet in front your bike going 55mph or 100 feet. I doubt anyone can react if the see something that late.

;p
Yeah... i dont care. Me first. No im not annoyed by peoples lights, I'm am the "young people with lights." My bmw, jeep, sportster, and dyna will burn your eyes up. It's not an accident.

My sportser is lit up like a fricken Christmas tree at night 360 degrees of light...kuryakyn lizard lights and CD led everywhere. Even the laydown taillight is a lazer red CD led. i also ride so my light goes directly into the drivers side mirror of cars infront of me, on purpose. I'm just that kinda jerk at night. I dont care about oncoming traffic. I care about me and being seen and being able to see far ahead and the sides of the roads, without a doubt. My lamp is aimed high and far not the way harley say aim it. Between the CD led front turns and the led h4, the front of my bike is all business. Why?

Here in Tallahassee, fl thats how it is... 80% of folks have super brights because we live in the swamps and deep woods.... no street lights, and lush canopy roads full of critters that jump out, year round... its not a game.

You see all this light power on my tj... i didnt need any of it before i got here. Installed it all after i got here. Now its a daily thing. It's normal to see rigs like it or worse (2 led light bars and led pods) here too.

You are free to feel how you want about my choices. That's really none of my business. I'm not pushing it on anyone.

Now stop your fussing before the thread gets locked by a mod.

Last edited by cvaria; 11-05-2015 at 09:20 AM.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:37 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master

As people buy these type LED bulbs i assume they go in the sportster headlight bowl okay. Is there no heat issues on whatever else is in there?

Old 11-05-2015, 09:14 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

As people buy these type LED bulbs i assume they go in the sportster headlight bowl okay. Is there no heat issues on whatever else is in there?
no heat issues at all. lower current draw all around too.

nothing really in there to begin with@ "heat issues on whatever else is in there?":
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...-led-h4-4.html

you know you are in that thread asking basically the same question?

I keep hearing about the heat produced by the LED plug n plays and thats why they have the fan. Do you need to vent the headlight bucket if that's the case or is the heat build up not that bad?

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...l#post13823823

Last edited by cvaria; 11-05-2015 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:21 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master

nothing really in there to begin with:

Thought I'd asked somewhere, here, XL forums, facebook pages etc, so many HD threads, so little time lol!

Old 11-05-2015, 09:26 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master

no heat issues at all. lower current draw all around too.

nothing really in there to begin with@ "heat issues on whatever else is in there?":

Many thanks. That was the thread with the comments in I wanted to show someone. Sandy H makes some good points which will likely affect UK people.

Quick Reply: i really hate to do this.... LEDS