Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aux lamp wiring short circuited

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 07:59 PM
kingxirol
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Unhappy Aux lamp wiring short circuited

Hello friends,

While trying to replace one blown aux lamp with LED once I might have short-circuited the wiring (saw a spark when I took out the lamp out of socket and was testing it with by connecting the live wire and then touching the ground wire to one of the engine bolts).

Now none of the aux lamps light up and I can't see the power in either of the live wires that go to both lamps when testing with a voltmeter. Also I did not have the fuse in the wiring either (my foolishness to rush the initial install). Everything else works on the bike and it starts right up so hopefully the absence of the fuse didn't do any major damages.

How do I test what's wrong and what should I do to fix it? Can I just replace the wiring relay (standard 5-pin male-female sort) and see if it works or there is more to it such as replacing the whole wiring? Any help is appreciated to get the bike off the jack and on the road again.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:17 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Seems you always encounter electrical challenges...the last was with your horn. Now your aux light... Can't help you here. Know nothing about aux light wiring. Good luck bro. Hope for a speedy resolution so you can get back on the saddle.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:23 AM
hpotter
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

who install the aux light? dealer or.. Mostly aux lighted are connected directly to battery with a fuse and relay in between. The relay is to toggle the aux lights on/off. This is the common way to install aux lights.

Have you check each pins on the relay. The one from battery should have volt...

How the aux lights turned on? directly wire to headlight or... Please provide more info how the aux lights are wired and controlled first...

Last edited by hpotter; 12-31-2015 at 02:00 AM.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:48 AM
kingxirol
Road Master
Originally Posted by hpotter

who install the aux light? dealer or.. Mostly aux lighted are connected directly to battery with a fuse and relay in between. The relay is to toggle the aux lights on/off. This is the common way to install aux lights.

Have you check each pins on the relay. The one from battery should have volt...

How the aux lights turned on? directly wire to headlight or... Please provide more info how the aux lights are wired and controlled first...
hpotter - Thanks for your reply. I have wired the aux lights exactly like the diagram you posted with the exception of the fuse. I checked the pins in relay and none of them are getting any power. That makes me think that the relay might have blown due to short-circuit. I will pick a relay from NAPA today and see if I can make it work. In the worst case I will change the whole wiring.

hscic - I know man ... part of the problem is my limited knowledge when it comes to electrical stuff. It is what it is ... I will suffer thru it

Old 12-31-2015, 04:54 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by kingxirol
hpotter - Thanks for your reply. I have wired the aux lights exactly like the diagram you posted with the exception of the fuse. I checked the pins in relay and none of them are getting any power. That makes me think that the relay might have blown due to short-circuit. I will pick a relay from NAPA today and see if I can make it work. In the worst case I will change the whole wiring.
If that's true, then the wire between the battery + terminal and pin #30 on the relay is open.

Are you sure that pin #30 is tied DIRECTLY to the battery terminal?
It sounds like you have blown a fuse.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:36 PM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm with cHarley. If you have an ohmmeter or multimeter, take the wire going from the battery to pin #30 and disconnect both ends. Touch a probe to each side (doesn't matter which side, it's not a polarity-sensitive test) and see if you have continuity. If the meter reads OL or OFL, you've found your open.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:42 PM
kingxirol
Road Master
Smile

Thanks a lot folks! I changed out the relay and everything works again.

Appreciate all the helpful replies and guidance. Happy New Year!