Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buddy's wrecked 2015 Iron 883

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 02:34 PM
DynaFxd10
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buddy's wrecked 2015 Iron 883

Well,
A buddy of mine got into some gravel and laid his bike down. No frame damage or damage to the gas tank other than road rash. Bike runs, doesn't leak anything, and drives fine....in 3rd gear. The shifter shaft broke off so it can't be shifted. Harley and his insurance company want to total it out. They quoted him for a new gas tank, both genders and 4 spots on the frame needed to be re-powder coated. They quoted $6,600 FOR JUST THAT. So I told him to bring it over and I would do all the work to get it running like it did before (fix shift shaft, handlebars, signals, etc) minus the cosmetics. From what I've seen, the shaft is behind the primary drive. The piece just slides out and has two spring pieces on it. Is that correct? Also, is there anything different getting the primary off compared to a dyna? Or do I not need to take the primary off to get to this piece? Any help would be great.

Thanks

Old 04-28-2016, 02:55 PM
drinktothat421
Road Master
Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

whats the cash pay out?

Old 04-28-2016, 02:56 PM
drinktothat421
Road Master
Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

take the 66 and get a roadster!

Old 04-28-2016, 02:59 PM
swing2hard
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If I ever have a bike go down again, I will let them total it. I refuse to deal with the bike shops BS & insurance companies BS.

Did it once & won't deal with it again.

I will always take the money & go get another bike, there are plenty of them out there.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:31 PM
DynaFxd10
6th Gear

They aren't givin him money. They're paying off the bike and giving him $100. So he'd lose his ***. He was going to cancel his claim and fix the bike.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:45 PM
elfnyc
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Let them total it -

then ask the insurance how much the buyback would be from them -

most states do this most wont -

u can fix it up an ride it
or just fix and sell it , then get another scoot .. cant hurt to ask

Last edited by elfnyc; 04-28-2016 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:25 AM
DynaFxd10
6th Gear

Originally Posted by elfnyc
Let them total it -

then ask the insurance how much the buyback would be from them -

most states do this most wont -

u can fix it up an ride it
or just fix and sell it , then get another scoot .. cant hurt to ask
He already asked what the buyback is and the insurance company (progressive) won't let him buy it back. So he can't get the perfectly driveable running bike back without any frame damage, at all. He either cancels his claim and gets the bike back or let's them total it out and not get a dime from it except payoff and be out the money he spent to pay on it plus exhaust, tune, daymaker headlight, bag, turn signal kit, etc. All of his "money items" weren't touched. The damage is on the primary side and not the exhaust side.

Old 04-29-2016, 04:05 PM
Nick 93
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Id ask progressive if they'll pay for the accessories he added. When I crashed my Kawasaki ZX6R last year Progressive totaled it. They asked me what aftermarket parts I had and what gear I was wearing. They then added it all to the check they sent me. I provided them with reciepts of everything I put on the bike and my gear. I even had Kriega straps on my bike but did not have the bag with me when I crashed. Well, they included an extra $35 for me to buy new straps. I know insurance works different from state to state but it might be worth asking if they'll change the total out amount based on accessories. Also it doesn't matter if accessories werent touched, if the bike is totaled then its totaled including everything. At least that is my experience. Progressive even payed me for my boots(which I was able to keep by the way) even though they just had a scuff on one of them. So now I have two pairs of boots. The only thing I think they won't cover is major engine work or crazy modifications like turbos, etc.

Old 04-29-2016, 04:42 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by DynaFxd10
Well,
A buddy of mine got into some gravel and laid his bike down. No frame damage or damage to the gas tank other than road rash. Bike runs, doesn't leak anything, and drives fine....in 3rd gear. The shifter shaft broke off so it can't be shifted. Harley and his insurance company want to total it out. They quoted him for a new gas tank, both genders and 4 spots on the frame needed to be re-powder coated. They quoted $6,600 FOR JUST THAT. So I told him to bring it over and I would do all the work to get it running like it did before (fix shift shaft, handlebars, signals, etc) minus the cosmetics. From what I've seen, the shaft is behind the primary drive. The piece just slides out and has two spring pieces on it. Is that correct? Also, is there anything different getting the primary off compared to a dyna? Or do I not need to take the primary off to get to this piece? Any help would be great.

Thanks
Did the shifter shaft break or the shift lever?
The shaft would require a major hit while the lever would break rather easily.
A tank replacement, 2 fender replacement and a frame replacement would total just about any new bike.
Here is a link for an older sportster shaft replacement.
http://www.basketcasecycles.com/shif...placement.html

Old 04-30-2016, 12:55 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by DynaFxd10
He already asked what the buyback is and the insurance company (progressive) won't let him buy it back. So he can't get the perfectly driveable running bike back without any frame damage, at all. He either cancels his claim and gets the bike back or let's them total it out and not get a dime from it except payoff and be out the money he spent to pay on it plus exhaust, tune, daymaker headlight, bag, turn signal kit, etc. All of his "money items" weren't touched. The damage is on the primary side and not the exhaust side.
If he still has the stock parts, you guys can put them back on and keep the custom parts. Nobody will know or even care about the difference. I'd let the insurance pay if off. Then he can just redirect the monthly payment that he's currently making, and put it to a new bike. Obviously he still owes a bunch on that one, so he'd be making payments for a while yet anyway...

Even if the insurance company would let him buy it back as a totaled bike, it would then have a salvage title which really diminishes the value. I'd just let it go and start-a-new.

Quick Reply: Buddy's wrecked 2015 Iron 883