Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Some New Rider Observations

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 08:20 AM
DCrider132
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Just Some New Rider Observations

It’s been raining here and since the only things I enjoy more than riding are reading, writing and thinking about riding, here goes:

1. I understand the concept behind countersteering, but frankly, the less I think about it, the easier it is. Having read so much about it I was consciously trying to do it when I approached curves. But I found that the less I thought about it, the more natural it became. In fact, reading about it may have set me back some since I was doing it before I became aware of it anyway.

2. I know I’ve spent too much time trying to be in the right gear for all speeds. But I drive in a lot of suburban traffic and am shifting all the time and found this to be an unnecessary burden (and distraction). I think the Sportster, at least, is pretty forgiving of its gearing and I can just have it in fourth and pretty much cover 35-50 which is where I’m at most of the time.

3. It’s hard for me to believe that a bike which at first felt huge and heavy, can in 3 mos. feel so small and maneurverable. Don’t get me wrong, and even never having ridden another bike, I think it is top heavy. I mean if I get it on any more than a 20 percent angle at a stop, its going over -- and has a few times -- but as compared to when I bought it, it feels as light as a feather and I love it.

4. Has anyone else out there of generous age experienced Rider’s Calf? My left calf muscle aches all the time. If not for Advil I’d really have a hard time shifting. I’m sure its just a muscle I’ve not used in a long time, but damn, it hurts good And in any case a limp is a small price to pay.

5. Why do they make neutral so hard to find? Seems like if it were at the bottom of the gearing rather than between 1st and 2nd it would be easier and perhaps safer. Must be an engineering issue I guess.

6. Is there an LED stock replacement for the headlight on an Sportster 883. If its really easy to do, I want one. Also the stock replacement horn I bought is really not worth much - 3db doesn't amount to very much at all. Is there another one out there that is as easy to replace but louder?

7. Rolling Thunder was awesome yesterday.

7. I hate rainy days and I guess I’m running out of observations. Good riding !!

The following 2 users liked this post by DCrider132:
sgthwjack (05-30-2016), Shdwcaster (06-28-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 08:39 AM
tmultra
Road Warrior
Received 593 Likes on 190 Posts

For #5. Try while in first gear to put a little upward pressure on the shifter. Blip your throttle. That sometimes helps it to slip right into neutral.

#3. Ride an ultra classic once and your sportster will never feel heavy again lol

#1-2. Don't think about it and just ride

Others will chime in about your light. I know there are led lights out there for it. Personally I am going to be getting dk customs light. Don't remember off hand if it's led or not but I really like the looks of it. Check them out if looking to do any upgrades to your bike. They have a lot of sportster parts and are the sponsor of the sportster section

Old 05-30-2016, 09:14 AM
cbs_24
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had trouble finding neutral when I first started riding, but I'm getting a little better at it over time. I still miss sometimes though.

Old 05-30-2016, 09:47 AM
Gotyoulooking
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

#1, Don't overthink it just ride. Counter steering is something that happens naturally, you learned it when riding bicycles at a young age.

#2, Sportsters like to be in the mid rpm's (3000) so don't be afraid of waiting a bit to shift as this is where their power band is found, don't look a the tach just feel the bike. you can cruise in 4th at 30 mph but just don't lugg it, drop gears if you want to speed up.

#3, with time you'll get used to it, after all its a harley lol.

#4, I have not experienced it, just cramps once in a while and a quick stretch before riding will help avoid it.

#5, I have learned on my bike that its easier to get in neutral from 2nd gear rather than 1st, idk why but give it a try.

#6, looking for LED replacement as well for all my lights. let us know what you find and what you think of them.

Old 05-30-2016, 09:48 AM
Huggerbugger
Road Warrior
Received 354 Likes on 213 Posts

The Sporty has a low center of gravity and is the least prone to falling over over the many bikes I've owned.

Finding neutral requires an easy touch. Maybe you're trying to hard. It's not like shifting into a gear. Usually you shift into neutral from first and only a slight upward pressure is needed to hit neutral. We tend to press down harder that pull up. Going into neutral from second, again only requires slight pressure.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:04 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by Gotyoulooking
#1, Don't overthink it just ride. Counter steering is something that happens naturally, you learned it when riding bicycles at a young age.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:04 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

If your sporty is new, Neutral will be easier to find as it breaks in. If it's not new...have the clutch adjustment checked.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:12 AM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Having 1st gear at the bottom, is a safety issue. Neutral at the bottom, would be less safe.
Chicks dig a limp. If you ain't got a limp, you ain't got ****. Unfortunately, I'm guessing that muscle will build up and your limp will go away. Try eating bananas, for their Potassium.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:17 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Gotyoulooking View Post

Thank you Got.., I have been posting that for years. And I am usually berated for it because some people feel riding a motorcycle is more difficult, and counter steering is more impressive(?)then is actually the case.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:38 AM
Derf_
Tourer
Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

For the horn if i ever change it'll be a wolo bad boy. 120 db. They make it in chrome too.

http://wolo-mfg.com/horns/motorcycle-horns/air-horn/model-419-bad-boy.html

Quick Reply: Just Some New Rider Observations