Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should it really rattle like that?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 06:54 AM
Axis39
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Should it really rattle like that?

I'm new to Sportsters. I've been riding a long time, but have always owned Big Twins. I bought my wife a 2014 48 a few months ago and really enjoy riding it... But, man I wonder if the engine is about to explode sometimes! LOL

I am not used to being over the engine, or having such a small gas tank not covering said engine... I'm also REALLY not used to stock exhaust! But, it seems like there's so much engine noise. Clackity clack, all the time. It's steady, it doesn't change, other than with engine speed.

Do Sportster have solid lifters? Don't they have fixed length push rods too? As in, nothing I should worry about adjusting....

The bike runs strong, never misses, and really, is just plain fun to ride. But, it's so noisy compared to my Softail and the Shovel I just sold, let alone my old Evo FXR.... The first Shovel I owned was so long ago, and had such short pipes... I can't remember if I ever heard that engine!

Old 06-28-2016, 07:25 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts

If you have a warranty and are concerned, I suggest you visit the dealer you bought it from. We can't hear that noise so readily in here! Your engine has hydraulic lifters and the valves do not normally need any routine maintenance, so shouldn't make any noise. A possibility is that the stock air filter (which is actually a muffler) has been changed and you are hearing induction noise, which can sound mechanical.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:42 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 336 Likes on 291 Posts

Visit the dealer...that's the best advice as internet can not accurately (even in a video) the noises you describe.

Some describe Sportster motor noise as sewing machines.
Oil weight/ type may make a sound difference.
Air leaks, misfires, component rattle...all possible.

Might be that DK Customs parts makes an insert that is to help quiet a Sportster motor. I believe it installs into the rocker. Do a search.

Tip: Wear some ear plugs and go for a test drive. Listen for any peculiar noise.

Yes, the engine vibrations and motor noises (and clunking gearbox) are Harley unique.

Good luck.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:42 AM
KCCO-Forty Eight
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah DK sells something called Rocker Lockers. I bought a set for mine to kill the clicking sound just haven't had the ***** to install them yet...

Old 06-28-2016, 01:02 PM
Axis39
Road Captain

Guys, I promise I'm used to Harleys making noises. I always get weirded out the time I've driven buddies' bike with windshields because of all the new noises. LOL

It sounds like lifter noise more than anything... It is a very even noise. Sewing machine is not a bad description. Just a loud one! I'm sure I'm over-worried.

I do think it's still under factory warranty, actually. (I bought it used, from an independent dealer. But, I do believe there is still some factory warranty left... Gotta go look at the paperwork again).

Old 06-28-2016, 01:14 PM
Søren Rix Petersen
Road Captain

my dealer says the sportsters are more noisy with SE sync3 oil, next oil change iam going to try redline
but the sportster is more noisy then a big twin, i hate the sound on mine bought the rocker lockers from dk think ill get then in when i get the in for oil change
regards
Sören

Old 06-28-2016, 04:21 PM
KCCO-Forty Eight
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Søren Rix Petersen
i hate the sound on mine bought the rocker lockers from dk think ill get then in when i get the in for oil change
regards
Sören

Please let us know how well the Rocker Lockers do at curing the ticking sound! Thank you

Old 06-28-2016, 04:31 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,580 Likes on 3,827 Posts

Do Rocker Lockers work on a Sporty???

Old 06-28-2016, 04:52 PM
Huggerbugger
Road Warrior
Received 354 Likes on 213 Posts

I have 2 Sportsters and a FatBob and yes, the Sportys produce more mechanical sounds. But I've had both of them thoroughly gone over more than once and separate shops agree.....normal. Tappets are self-adjusting, so nothing much to do.

The sound I hear so often on many Sportys is the heat shields. No matter how tight the clamps are on the heat shields, they rattle like a bucket of bolts.

Old 06-28-2016, 06:02 PM
awilson40
Road Warrior

Received 1,405 Likes on 522 Posts

They are noisy. When I first got my 48 I wondered about it too. That little tank does nothing to block the sound. When I switched to the 3.3 gal tank I was surprised how much it dampened the valve train noise. As to the Rocker Lockers. I installed a set on mine but found my rocker shafts were not loose so it didnt make a difference but its cheap insurance against increasing noise as the motor wears.

Quick Reply: Should it really rattle like that?