Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help 05 sportster battery died.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 12:47 AM
70mach1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help 05 sportster battery died.

A freind of mine has a 2005 sportster 883 .
A week ago his battery died and the bike wouldnt start .
He was on a benefit ride .Abought 50 miles in to the ride he said he put the turn signal on and all of the sudden he noticed it went out.
Before he came to a stopthe battery light came on and the engine light came on .
We looked over the bike for a loose conection or blown fuse and found nothing noticably wrong.
We got the bike home and check the batery cables . seemed o.k but not as tight as I like them .
Anyways we figured it was his battery,
He bought a new battery , cleaned up terminals and rode the bike 3 times or abought 100 miles.
Called me tonight and said the lights seemed a little dim , He stopped for gas , came home and noticed at idle the engine light came on and off 2 vor 3 times.
Shut it off then restarted the bike 3 times. O n the 4th try the bike would not turn over .Dead battery.
Hes trickle charging the battery for an hour or so on 2 amps.
Checked and cleand any dirty looking wires .all seemed o.k.
Where is the ground for the regulator ???
Could it be a bad regulator ??
We herd that it could be the stator ? He took off the small cover where you check the primary chain , smelled a little funny , but not positive,Not a puky smell ??Herd it has a nasty smell if it goes bad ,
bike has abought 9200 miles on it ..
Any easy solutions ?Should he try a new regulator ?
Dont have a tester but may have to but one .
If its the stator how much for parts ????
Can an average mechanicaly inclined person change the stator ??
Sorry so long ..Thanks a lot for any info and help..Weather is now nice and we would like to ride

Old 08-27-2007, 02:05 AM
Kolni
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Help 05 sportster battery died.

It's not the battery, it is the charging system.

All the battery doies is start the bike and run the accessories when the bike is off. Once started it is the charging system that runs everything. If that fails then the battery takes over, which is why the lights start to dim.

Sounds like you need an expert to check the charging system to see how many volts it is putting out, should be at least 14.4.

Then go from there.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:05 AM
Kolni
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

BTW, download this manual.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/f39ivc

Old 08-27-2007, 03:53 AM
helstone
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hy Sporster friends.
I have the same trouble with my sporster[:@]. Bought 2 Month ago a Maintenance free Battery and she died. Now I bought a Wet Battery and when i maesured the Voltache it was only 13.4 and when i switch on the light it falls down to 12.8 and when i used my Horn shortly ( 2x70watt)it drops again but when i switch on my spotlight which is 2x55watt then the voltage goes down to 9.8volt which i was woundering that there is enough power to recarge the battery. And what was happen last night when i was on tour I used the spot light for a while and when i stopped and and switch of the engine and try to restart the engine the Battery was more or less empty and i had to push the bike for restart. so I did'nt use the spotlight again and the Battery recharged but not komplet full. I realy need that help to cos i go crazy!!!
Thanks to read and hope getting help you.
Regards
Helmut
Sorry if i do some misstake I'm apologize to put my questions under some othe one. sorry for it!!

Old 08-27-2007, 06:06 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

70mach1,

It counld be either the stator, regulator or both, (sometimes the stator will take out the regulator). Without a voltmeter there isn't much you can do to test the circuit but if you can get a hold of one your looking for a minimum of 13.5 volts across the battery with the bike running at about 2000+ rpm. The 14.4 volts listed above by Kolni is incorrect.