Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice for upgrade kits.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 12:07 PM
BHEBE55
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for upgrade kits.

OK so my wife is about to graduate and ive been working two jobs to put her through nursing school. My reward for this is that i will kepp my second job for a while and i get to spend every dollar i make on my bike. It is a 2004 1200 custom. Im ready to break into the engine for more power but im really hesitant about compatibility issues. Id like to get a kit that has everything i need of a list of some sort. I want to make as much REALIABLE power as fiscally possible. Im not looking to take it to the track just more for daily riding. I have read that 883 heads are better for porting because they can shape them how they want but, but I already have 1200 heads sop thats out. Most of the kits i find are just 883 to 1200 conversion kits. Im not looking for stupid unreasonable power but id like of possible to get it into the high 80's low 90's hp/tq range. Any advice or links would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:51 PM
Terp84Alum
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Advice for upgrade kits.

First of all, the 883 heads are not better so we can eliminate that right now. What I would recommend is the Super Hammer kit from Zippers. You get everything you need and you'll get the HP/Torque you're looking for. Shop all you want but Zippers is the best place for Sportster performance. Plan on spending 2500-3000. You'll get pistons, cams, headwork, Mikuni 42, A/C, and an ignition module. Give them a call.

Old 04-05-2008, 01:07 PM
BHEBE55
Novice

That was exactly the sort of advice I was looking for. Price is only an issue of how long i wanna keep working. I was thinking of droping around 5grand in it. That would take me about 4 months part time work to put together. Is getting a kit like this something i can tackle myself or should I bring it to a shop to have it installed?

Old 04-05-2008, 02:14 PM
Terp84Alum
Road Master

I really can't answer that but if it were me, I'd pay a shop to do it. Even though you are buying a tested kit, it's still a good idea to check clearances and so forth. Plus you definitely have to have it dyno tuned. You can call Zippers and they may be able to recommend a shop near you or just use your dealer if you're comfortable with their techs. You go with this ZIppers kit and no other Sportster will be able to touch you so hang on.

Also, dont' forget to budget a good 2-1 pipe.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:24 PM
BHEBE55
Novice

So the sippers kit is just a top end kit cams and heads and such. I was looking at the NRHS big bore kits. What is the pros/cons between the different approaches. I want the power but i want it to be rock solid too. Plus how high can i get hp wise without tearing into the clutch /trans? I really want mid range power for cruising.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:28 PM
BHEBE55
Novice

Also zippers pricing guide is down right now any idea of what there kits run?

Old 04-05-2008, 02:37 PM
Terp84Alum
Road Master

Your clutch should be good to at least 100HP. My bike will be up at or above 100HP next week as a result of some larger valves and some additional headwork. Sportsters have strong clutches. I'm not going to talk about other people's kits. I'm really only familiar with Zippers. Go talk to your shop or dealer about Zippers. They are the best for Sportsters. Here's what you get with the kit I mentioned:

I don't have a clue what the kits run. They are not the cheapest. In fact, my bet would be that they are the most expensive. You should call Pete Stewart at 410-579-2828 ext 127 and talk to him.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:43 PM
Terp84Alum
Road Master

I want to add that I do not have a Zippers kit and have huge regrets that I did not. I spent as much if not more having to tear down my motor more than a few times to get my bike where I wanted it. If I had gone with their kit from day one, my bike would have been where I wanted it from the beginning.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:58 PM
jurob
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

why?
not for the track just for the steet, why even bother? lot of money that will only yeild minor sotp gains.

if you need the speed fix use the 3-4k and get you a second bike to satisfy your speed fix.

Ken,
your bike has 91hp, what was the gain from all the work you did?

Old 04-05-2008, 03:17 PM
Terp84Alum
Road Master

My biking background is metric sport bikes. Going to a HD was a disappointment for me (note: my opinion only). I love my bike but in my mind, it was a dog. It is no longer a dog-far from it. I hear what you're saying with respect to why bother and to some extent, I agree. I'm not sure what you mean my minor gains. I've almost doubled my HP from stock.

If I were to start all over again, I would have sold the Sporty and gotten a Buell or another metric. That's just me, although there's something about a sleeper Sporty though. I really don't have any regrets with the engine work I've done.

Quick Reply: Advice for upgrade kits.