Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Memphis Shades on Nightster - Not horrible

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 07:36 AM
levi
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Memphis Shades on Nightster - Not horrible

WVICEMAN,

Can you explain what 'buffeting' is?&nbsp\\; I have no idea what that is.

Thanks,

ORIGINAL: WVICEMAN

I also have a Memphis Shade wind shield and had buffeting until I&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;bought the small lowers and now I have experienced no buffeting after installing.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:16 AM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know how your bike acts in a crosswind?&nbsp\\; Or behind 18-wheelers?&nbsp\\; That's buffeting.&nbsp\\; Sometimes it's magnified with windshields.&nbsp\\; The way the wind goes up and around the windshield has a lot to do with it.&nbsp\\; Sometimes the wind going up over the shield and focusing on your head will cause head buffeting.&nbsp\\; Sometimes the wind also comes up from underneath the shield as well as over it, giving the feeling of being a head-bobber toy!&nbsp\\; Frankly, it doesn't bother me.&nbsp\\; I didn't say it doesn't occur...I just said it doesn't bother me, so&nbsp\\;I don't notice much.&nbsp\\; A shield can also make handling feel a bit differently at speed, especially in traffic advisory winds (at least 20-30 mph, with gusts even higher than that).
&nbsp\\;
I'm spoiled\\; I like windshields.&nbsp\\; I also ride daily at highway speeds at some point during the day, so I don't take mine off.&nbsp\\; Mine's an HD, but I've used Memphis Shades on another bike I had and loved it.
&nbsp\\;
Teek

Old 06-05-2008, 08:43 AM
levi
Intermediate

Great explaination.&nbsp\\; I have noticed that on the freeway behind semi's and with other traffic etc... and out in the country with cross winds and such.&nbsp\\; I just hope it doens't change too much with the shield.&nbsp\\; It's actually pretty small, so it shouldn't be too bad.

I will report back with my experience and review very soon (as soon as it stops raining).

Old 06-05-2008, 10:10 AM
poweranger
Stage I

&nbsp\\;I have the Memphis "spitfire" shield on mine. It looks as good as a shield is gonna look on a bike. It does a good job keeping the wind of your chest but at about 60mph and above it feels like someone is running a jackhammer on my head. The buffeting is unbearable at highway speeds. Shakes my eyeballs out of their sockets. I think the shield needs to be a few inches taller? I may have to opt for a more expensive one. The spitfire was 60 bucks from MAW. Any suggestions on a good shield that takes the wind off your chest but without the head shake?

Old 06-05-2008, 10:20 AM
SHTFIT
Road Captain

forum member joeschmoe posted some Nightster w/ Memphis Shades Del Ray pics on another thread. Looked pretty spiffy IMO!

ORIGINAL: joeschmoe

Old 06-05-2008, 11:19 AM
levi
Intermediate

Yes! That's the exact one i saw.&nbsp\\;Thanks for posting SHTFIT (your screen name is funny).

joseschmoe's post was my incentive to get this windshield. &nbsp\\;I like how it fits and looks.
&nbsp\\;
Time will tell if the function matches the fashion!

Old 06-05-2008, 01:00 PM
sbergloff
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the quick release windsheild from HD for mine.&nbsp\\; It just takes a few seconds to clamp on and off.&nbsp\\; I throw it on when I feel like it, and leave it off the rest of the time.