Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint peeling

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 01:31 PM
jj_dahlheimer
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint peeling

I have paint peeling around the gas cap which I have found a few posts on and some ideas. I really liked the paint saver ring by carlini but I ordered and got it and it does not fit (link below). The ring has an outside diameter of 2 3/4 and my tank has an opening of 1 3/4 - 2" did not measure all that close but it was definitely not fitting. I put some jb weld on it but that came off because I did not cut all the paint away first but my other problem with jb weld is it is really tough to get a good seal around the gas cap when I filled up I had gas blow out my gas cap onto my paint. The other option is kuryakyn has a set up that screws into your opening and has a flush gas cap that is keyed but I don't like having to worry about losing the key and that it also does not have as good as seal as the paint saver ring. Don't really know what to do just wondering if anyone has any insight. Thanks

99 sportster 1200 xl has a custom tank but is the same opening as the stock tank.

Link to paint saver ring http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CARLI...Q5fAccessories

Old 06-25-2009, 01:40 AM
freekdawg1200
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem on my stretched tank.Gas fumes getting under the paint is causing the peeling.See my sig pic.I have two filler holes,but only fill up from the right,obviously.As soon as I saw the paint peeling,I bought the paint saver gas caps made by Landmark.Pretty much the same as the Carlini ones you posted.They come with rings and a special gas caps that screw in and covers the ring.The only thing I didn't like was how the ring made the hole a lot smaller.I'd have to stick the nozzle down through the ring and I couldn't see how much gas I was getting.I took the ring off and went back to my old gas cap.I kept the left side paint saver ring and cap on though.Snugged them up good and haven't touched it since.

For the right side,I'm using a low profile dome cap.It matches the Landmark cap almost perfectly.Since the right cap is the one I'm always taking on and off,it was grabbing my paint and causing it to peel just a little bit.I called my painter and he came over with a razor blade.He trimmed some paint back from the filler hole and sealed it with some clear nail polish hardener.I put on a few extra coats and haven't had any more paint peeling off.The cap has rubber gasket on it,so I put a very light coat of Vaseline on the gasket.This way it doesn't grab the paint too much.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:35 AM
jj_dahlheimer
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I found what you had. Do you still have it and are you interested in getting rid of it? Couple of questions though does it have a good vapor seal and other than not being able to see gas any other problems? Thanks.

Is this what you have?
http://www.axiomcycles.com/pages/ite...temsection=424