Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gorilla alarm system help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 08:47 AM
dliggett
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gorilla alarm system help!

I've been hanging out here for awhile so I thought I would make my first post
I have a 08 1200 custom and thought I would invest in an alarm system. thought gorilla system sounded good for the price now I'm having trouble finding room to install it.If anyone here has any sugestions I sure would like to here them. thx in advance.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:13 PM
jamesr242
Advanced

Maybe try somewhere near the battery? You might be able to find space for it there or cut away some of the plastic and make room.

The lack of room is why I opted to go for the HD security system instead. I got it on ebay pretty cheap.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:22 PM
beaucoup_dinkydow
Tourer

try contacting customer support @ gorilla and see if they might have any suggestions.
I have one on my Ultra and love it.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:47 AM
dmn8tr
Stage II
Default Does this help?

Hi - I'm a newbie as well, but I recently installed a Gorilla alarm on a 2009 Nightster and think I might be able to help. I searched all over the net beforehand, and trying to get a place to mount for a Sporty was a challenge.

There are two problems - 1) finding the room and place for the alarm box and 2) where to mount the warning light for the alarm.

With the alarm box - there's just no room under the seat or anywhere. So what I did was slightly move the horn up and mounted the alarm box under the horn (see pics). Went to Home Depot, got a small piece of metal that allowed me to extend the bracked a half inch, redrilled the hole for the horn mounting, by moving it up and then mounted the box below it. There's a pic looking from behind that shows you how the horn and the box are mounted on the same plate. I then used black ties to secure it to the forks.

It was fairly easy then to run the wiring - the only problem is the warning light. In the pics you can see (barely) that what I did was run the wiring up next to the tank and secured the light to the tank using Velcro (I wasn't too crazy about drilling a hole). I then ran the wiring to the battery and wrapped it with plastic wrap from Home Depot.

All the parts (other than the alarm) cost me less than $10 and, once I figured out where to mount everything, it only took me about 45 min to complete the install. I've put 2000 miles on the bike with the mounting and its been fine.

One additional thing re the alarm, but a different issue. I was having problems with the battery, so I got a toggle kill switch for the alarm and mounted it in the battery compartment. I don't ride on occassion for a number of weeks and leave it in a locked garage http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...lies/frown.gif and usually activate the kill when plugging the battery tether on. It wasn't draining but I wasn't sure and it only cost a couple of bucks and less than 5 min. Its up to you, but I've had some weird problems with the battery (all my fault) and did it for insurance reasons.

If you have any questions let me know. By the way it works like a charm and I'm extremely happy with the alarm and how it looks.

Best

DMN8TR

Attached Thumbnails gorilla alarm system help!-horn_long.jpg   gorilla alarm system help!-horn.jpg   gorilla alarm system help!-light.jpg   gorilla alarm system help!-bike.gif