Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

painting vance and hines heat shields

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 07:44 PM
dhamilton20
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painting vance and hines heat shields

Is it ok to powdercoat your exhaust heat shields with high temp paint? THanks!

Old 05-03-2010, 08:45 PM
shanester
Novice

Powder-coating and painting are entirely two different processes. Powder coating is actually baked onto the part being coated. If you are going to simply paint them with high-temp paint the best option is to remove the chrome by having them blasted with glass. The paint will not adhere well to the chrome unless you do that, or at the least sand the entire finish really well before painting. I know I don't have as much experience with this as some others here. Hopefully someone else will chime in with some more insight.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:53 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

I have had some luck painting chrome, you have to sand down the chrome with fine then very fine sand paper then prime and paint with a HIGH QUALITY primer & paint.
It is suceptible to scratching tho so plan on re-doing the paint layer every year or so.
On heat shields the problem is the heat, you need a high heat paint and it's hard to find a compatible high heat primer, and the primer is the key to a good job.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:24 PM
Doctrey
Tourer

A friend of mine did his with high heat header paint, then baked them in the oven for a bit. They've been great for 3 months so far. I had mine powder coated, then it all flaked off. I then had them ceramic powder coated, then it all flaked off again. Those were my Hooker pipes; now I have V & H Shortshots in chrome, and I'm not touching them, even though I really wish they were black (I got a killer deal on them, or I would have bought black ones).

Old 05-03-2010, 11:13 PM
fatguy-littlebike
Tourer

just sand them well and spray with vht. follow the directions on the back of the can for baking. i did the same to my pipes, check out my album for pics

Old 05-04-2010, 09:25 AM
mikes883silveriron
3rd Gear

has anyone looked into having an exhaust JET-HOT coated? What the cost might be? I think it would lower engine temps too.
I have a silver Iron and have been thinking it would be nice if the exhaust would match the denim silver paint.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:35 AM
midnight2005
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do know that summit racing sells very high temperature powder coat paint. you can go to their web sight and see the colors they have

Old 05-04-2010, 07:06 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've paint chrome several times, just use a scotch bright pad on them first and then use a good quality stove paint like Thurmolox instead of cheap header paint.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:37 PM
sexpanther
Cruiser

Hello from London! I've painted my v&h shorty shelds. If you take your time it looks great and a lot cheaper than powdercoating.

I got a great deal on the chrome shortys but wanted them black to blend with my iron. So I took the sheilds off, scuffed them with a green scotchbrite pad.

I then sprayed them with this stuff:

http://www.designengineering.com/cat...licone-coating

it comes out semi gloss and looks almost exactly like the finish on the official black v&h shortys. Used this as found normal high temp paint comes out almost grey in colour!

Put them back on the bike and 4 months later not a scratch or chip on them :-) I'll uploads a few pics when I get home from work

Old 05-05-2010, 04:47 PM
sexpanther
Cruiser

Here's a pic with the sheilds painted with the dei paint. Sorry for the quality it's from my phone

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/a...n/e75487e8.jpg

Quick Reply: painting vance and hines heat shields