Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike went over, not it won't start. Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 11:16 PM
cmafolks
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike went over, not it won't start. Help

I have a 2004 XL1200C that my son crashed. The bike went over on its right side and sustained relatively minor damage. However, now the bike won't start. There appears to be no power going to the starting system. The front, rear and signal lights work but the turn signals won't flash and the brake lights don't activate. Also, the "red key" in the speedometer illuminates after a few seconds like the security system is activated. Funny thing though, I don't have a security system. According to the service manual, the Bank Angle Sensor (BAS) in the TSM controsl these functions. Could the BAS crap out after only one tip over? I hate to buy a new TSM if it something else. I tried the key on-off-on sequence, but to no avail. Any help to diagnose this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:14 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you tried tilting the bike the other direction? I have nothing to supprt that other than it's something that I've heard could to be done once a bike with a tilt sensor has fallen.

I'm actually interested in the results if you try that.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:11 AM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Cycle the key off and on a couple times and it should start. I dropped mine in the driveway and it did the same thing. I read its some kinda of safety device to kill the engine when the bikes goes over.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:18 AM

No insult intended, but also be sure the run/kill switch is in the run position. That is something often overlooked because it is so simple, and if you habitually leave it on run, you wouldn't necessarily think to check that even though it usually gets moved to off when righting the bike.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:32 PM
cmafolks
Stage IV
Default Bike went over, now it won't start

Thanks for the suggestions. The run/off switch is in the run position. I also tried the key on/off/on method with no luck. I have pulled out the battery and removed the TSM. I guess I could wiggle it around a little bit (simulate tipping the bike over the other direction) and put it back in and see what happens. I'll let y'all know what happens.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:15 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

When I dropped mine on the right side it slid the right control down the bar enough to tear out some wires from the control, maybe that happend to yours.
Take out the two screws on the right control and open it up & check the wires inside the housing (be careful with the throttle cable ends when opening, there are tiny pieces in there that try to spring to freedom as you open it up).

Old 08-26-2012, 08:15 PM
kyleohioguy
Intermediate

I crashed my bike landed on its left side in a feild. I got all lights, turn signals,goes in & out gear. Brakes work. works. Fuel pump kicks on. When turn key pump kicks on. Oil light and red key light up then oil light stays on. No start. Pleasehelp

Old 08-26-2012, 09:45 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,645 Likes on 1,135 Posts

I'd almost guarantee your throttle/run/start switch assemblies got jammed into the end of the famously designed "dimple" on the handlebars, and pinched or broke a wire, they are super small wires. My bike fell over and pinched one of the wires, what a stupid design, destined for a problem. I got lucky and it was only one wire, the gray one to the start switch as I recall.

John

Old 08-27-2012, 06:46 AM
wtb3886
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

try a search in here for DTC to determine where to start looking, the computer bikes will store information as to what is showing a fault in the bike.

DTC will step you through how to retrieve the fault codes

Let us know what you found

Old 08-27-2012, 11:13 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your oil light will stay on until the bike starts because there's no oil pressure in the motor until it's running to deactivate the pressure sensor. As far as not starting, try the key cycling mentioned earlier to deactivate the bank angle sensor. If that doesn't work, start checking the battery connections and fuses. And if that's not it, then start tracing wires as mentioned from the handle bar switches.