Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red Key symbol - missing key fob??

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 11:49 AM
YoDA
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Red Key symbol - missing key fob??

So I'm working on rebuilding a crashed 07 Sporty, and today I went to try to get it running. I have the key, and although all the gauges are smashed in, they are still operable. When I turn on the ignition a little red key pops up beside the odometer... and the bike won't start. Nothing happens. I assume the bike has a security system and the key fob is missing. Does anyone know for sure? Does the red key light mean "your key fob is missing"? If so, and once again I assume yes, then is there a work around or some way to get this thing running? In speaking with HD they said I would have to bring it into the shop and have them replace the security module. There's got to be another way. Anyone???

Old 12-17-2010, 12:07 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it were a fob missing the lights would flash if you tried to start it. You can use the turn signals to override, but that requires a code set by the prevoius owner. The red key also means the bike threw a code. There is a procedure on here on how to search codes. I would try that

Old 12-17-2010, 01:33 PM
YoDA
Cruiser

Thanks Piston. The lights (I assume you are referring to the turn indicators) do NOT flash when I try to start. I will do a search for codes and see what comes up.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:16 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The security system could be in service or transport mode. So it may not flash the lights but still may not start without the fob. The default code for the system I believe was 12121 on my bike, you may try that to bypass the FOB.
Turn IGN key to IGNITION and immediately hold both t/s switches until 5 dashes appear in odometer display.
Enter first digit of code by pressing left turn signal switch (x) number of times then press right t/s switch to enter number and advance to next place then repeat for the rest of the 5 digits.
Then try to start the bike. Do not turn the key to off otherwise you need to start over again.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:20 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member

As far as the engine codes go, there is a yellow engine light that comes on to indicate a set diag. code. The red key light is to show if the security system is armed or not.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:39 PM
chevy94ss
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if the OP were to replace the TSSM with a regular non security turn signal modul, if it would work? Just a thought.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:48 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gpsjr10
As far as the engine codes go, there is a yellow engine light that comes on to indicate a set diag. code. The red key light is to show if the security system is armed or not.
Not 100% true. The red light indicates a code in the tssm. Even if a bike doe not have security the red key light will come on if the tsm throws a code

Old 12-17-2010, 09:35 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by PistonPuller
Not 100% true. The red light indicates a code in the tssm. Even if a bike doe not have security the red key light will come on if the tsm throws a code
I stand corrected. I have not had any experience with Tsm troubles.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:16 AM
YoDA
Cruiser

Thanks for all the input! I'll work with the codes today and get back to you.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:22 PM
EL in NH
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default FYI..may or may not apply

2010 sproty model 48..no security system
on my bike the red key symbol comes on when I have shut the bike down using the kill switch but not yet turned the key to the off position and removed the key

Quick Reply: Red Key symbol - missing key fob??